Sigma Flash or Canon Flash

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to get a flash eventually. And I'd like it if I could have 2 with one as a slave. Money is an issue, but if the Canon is THAT much better, I'll wait and save up.

I'm looking at the Canon 580EX (which can be slave and master, right? while the 430ex can only be slave?)

or

The Sigma EX-500 DG Super. This is the equivalent to the Canon, right? I also saw that there is a EX-530 DG Super, which I'm assuming is even newer if numbers mean anything...

Anyone with experience with either? I appreciate your help.

also, can I use the Sigma EX-500 as both a slave and master?

I'm looking at the Canon 580EX (which can be slave and master, right? while the 430ex can only be slave?)
That's correct.

From what I've heard, the Sigma flashes work well enough, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially when compared to the Canon units, which are pretty good.

Are you dead set on using the built-in Canon wireless system? You could put together a two light, wireless off camera flash kit for less money than the cost of one 580EX (see HERE).
There are pros and cons. With the Canon system, your slave flash is part of the E-TTL metering and can be controlled via the master. With radio triggering, your flash control will have to be manual...but it's really not that hard to figure out. Also, with the linked kit, you have two lights...both off camera. With the Canon system, you need to keep the master unit connected to the camera.

That's correct.

From what I've heard, the Sigma flashes work well enough, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially when compared to the Canon units, which are pretty good.

Are you dead set on using the built-in Canon wireless system? You could put together a two light, wireless off camera flash kit for less money than the cost of one 580EX (see HERE).
There are pros and cons. With the Canon system, your slave flash is part of the E-TTL metering and can be controlled via the master. With radio triggering, your flash control will have to be manual...but it's really not that hard to figure out. Also, with the linked kit, you have two lights...both off camera. With the Canon system, you need to keep the master unit connected to the camera.

how often do you find yourself using the flash on camera?

how often do you find yourself using the flash on camera?
I actually use my 430EX on camera quite a bit...and I would certainly recommend owning either a 430EX or a 580EX. However, if my goal was off-camera flash (especially on a tight budget) then I'd certainly go with the cheaper units and radio trigger set up.

Can I not use the Sigma as an on camera flash?

nevermind...we're talking about if i bought that strobist unit...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back