Sigma or Tamron? Tamron or Sigma? Sigma or Tamron?

Forkie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.ianforknall.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you looked through or taken any photos with either of these lenses?

I would seriously try before you buy. I've tried them both, and as a result have purchased neither.

Just sayin'.

I've used the Sigma (an earlier model?) for many years on my D70s. Great value for the money. It was my first 70-300 and it was always on the camera. The macro feature is great....going from long reach to a closeup w/o lens change. I recently got the Nikon version of the same lens and I already miss the macro feature (daughter now has both camera & lens). When compared to the newer Nikon, the AF wasn't as fast, is a bit louder, and would occasionally hunt at 300....but, as I said, great value. I shot a lot of general stuff (aka snapshots): kid events, b-day parties, family renunions some sports (pool side water polo and - recently- local bicycle races).

Overall, the Sigma is a great value lens.

Also, would second Stradawhovious' post: try them both before buying.

Bike shot follows:

I used to own the Tamron. It was my first lens in addition to the kit. It was very capable, and lihht. Its biggest downfall was the CA that would show up on occassion. But for the price it is a cheap way to get some reach.

Fair comment. It may be worth hiring them first.

Try them in a shop I, wouldn't hire them, heck I doubt if they are even available for hire since postage costs and rental would end up so close to half or more than the price of the lens itself.

As for the lenses I used that sigma and it works decently for its price point; but I strongly urge you to get the APO version of that lens (it has a red ring around the lens barrel) since the APO coatings make for a noticeable improvement in image quality and sharpness at the 200-300mm end of the lenses range (ie its weakest end).
As said the sigma's macro (close focusing really) is pretty darn good - for flowers and similar sized subjects its got a great working distance and also the long focal range makes for a very creamy background blur.

I strongly urge you to get the APO version of that lens (it has a red ring around the lens barrel) since the APO coatings make for a noticeable improvement in image quality and sharpness at the 200-300mm end of the lenses range (ie its weakest end).

I just found the APO version actually, it's only £40 extra. Thanks for the tip.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back