Sigma Sa -7 ... YES or NO ?

Slnce-z-GSI

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi again, my second threed is here!

not only I am fool about film cameras, but my girlfriend obvoiusly follows similar direction, although she would like to have AF feature.

So, the point is - she is considering also Sigma Sa -7 which one can get for reasonable price, feels well in hand and is equipped with sime nice features (DOF, Mirror LU - if I got it correctly).

1) Is there anybody having some experience on this camera who would let me know its pros and cons

2) What about sigma lenses? The make mostly only zoom models. Interesting would be something like 24-60/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 28-70/2.8 or 28-105/2.8-4.
And maybe some macro lens (something for me).
(The purpose should be some city shots, landscape and maybee some longer exposure shots.)
Any experience on this?

3) What about third party lenses? (Something in reasonable quality) Are there any 50/1.8 ariund for this camera? or some 135mm?

I will stronlgy appreciate any help, hint or advice. Also some pros or cons when comapred to other cameras like F65, EOS300V or so..

thanks..

1) Nope, haven't actually used one. I have handled one, and they are small, which might be a bonus for you. They are very plasticky, which is not so good.

2) Sigma zoom lenses are not reputed for their speed, more for their value.

3) I'm not sure what you could put on a SA-7 which would work better than a Sigma lens.

The F65 and EOS300V are in a different league for quality - BMW and Mercedes compared to Hyundai if you like. You won't be able to get either and a number of lenses for a similar amount of money.

My opinion is that you would have better photographic results with either the Canon or the Nikon and just one standard lens (preferably f1.4 or under). If you buy second-hand, you should be able to keep the cost down.

I've read a few reports on that camera and it looks like very good value for the money. I don't know if you can find another camera in that price range with the same features. (this camera also has a metal lense mount) The Sigma SA mount lenses are the only ones that will fit.
For this deal on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15241&item=3872466431&rd=1
You'd be hard pressed to buy just the lenses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
robhesketh said:
The F65 and EOS300V are in a different league for quality - BMW and Mercedes compared to Hyundai if you like. You won't be able to get either and a number of lenses for a similar amount of money.
I had all of them in hand (Sa-7, F65, EOS300V, Pentax isT*) but to be honest - the sigma felt much sturdier in hand than nikon. The canon gave me really cheap plastic feeling (no offense behind this, just me feeling). I really appreciate the organization of the sigma controls. Something what reminds me cams from old school.
My opinion is that you would have better photographic results with either the Canon or the Nikon and just one standard lens (preferably f1.4 or under). If you buy second-hand, you should be able to keep the cost down. If I would not be so much dissapointed with all those cameras I would not consider Sigma.

Yes, this is exactly ehat I am worried about. The nikon or canon lenses are certainly much better then Sigmas, but on the other hand are MUCH more expensive. The sigma is really missing standardt prime lenses (50, 85, 105, 135, 200). All they have are mcros what is nice, but are not cheap and bulky (as macro lens tend to be)

One more question. I read that nikon older manual lenses (Ai-S) are not compatible with F65 in the sens that light meter is not working with them. This surprises me a lot. Is that true ???

M..

Most reactions

Back