Sigma 18-300 vs Tamron 28-300

biertje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone - I'm looking for a superzoom that I can use on my M6 II to do some photography and video of wildlife. I will use a 150-600 Sigma C and 70-300 Tamron on a 90D and 80D respectively so this will not be my main lens. I would like something versatile for doing some videos and to act as a bit of a gap filler from ~35-70mm.

I've narrowed it down to:

Sigma 18-300mm
Tamron 28-300mm

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of either of these lenses? I realise that they won't be the sharpest, but I'm looking for the sharpest between the two. I appreciate that the Tamron is designed for FF, but as above I use full frame lenses on APS-C bodies without much issue already.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I have the Tamron 18-400 and got it for business travel when I want to bring a camera but must pack carefully. Keep in mind, super zooms are a total compromise. Would I get one again? Yes. Do I sometimes shoot with it and wish I had one of my best lenses? Yes. Temper your expectations. If you do, you'll get more enjoyment using it.

Thank you. Yes it would be mostly for 4k video and just having a camera to grab if the wildlife gets closer than my 70mm allows. Not expecting miracles from it, but also don't want to spend too much on a lens that in reality I won't be using that much. The 18-400 would be great, but probably just a bit on the expensive side at the moment.

Tamron will give you on your DX bodies (1.6 crop factor) ~44mm on the short end which is very limiting for a do-everything lens ..
Sigma lenses - especially those older and non-art line - are pure gamble .. there's infamous quality variation between same lens so usually 1/5 is good, 2/5 are just bad and 2/5 are "slightly below good" .. both lenses will be rather soft at the long end (say above 140mm)

on the other hand, you can get those used for something like ~$150 max so if you wanna gamble and it will not ruin you just go ahead ..

personally I'd go for Sigma, this lens is newer (released 2014 Vs Tamron / 2007) and it has much more usable range, 18-xxx is on DX body significantly better than 28-xxx

cheers, ~d

Thanks for the response. For most of what I imagine I'll use this lens for I would mostly be using 40mm up so hopefully wouldn't miss the lower end much.
This would be for the Di VC PZD version released in 2014, not the older tamron one.
Still a tricky decision to make.

Thanks for the response. For most of what I imagine I'll use this lens for I would mostly be using 40mm up so hopefully wouldn't miss the lower end much.
This would be for the Di VC PZD version released in 2014, not the older tamron one.
Still a tricky decision to make.
seems you're already determined to go with Tamron ;) .. my decision would probably go towards 18-xxx because I have similar lens that I use for a travel (see my signature - and I do a lot of shots at 18mm with my 18-140) and also second important factor will be price ... I would not spend a lot of money for B-class (or C-class) lenses and these "superzooms" certainly are ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back