Sigma Strikes Again!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Loving my new Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS EX.

Love this lenses bokeh. Also seem to be getting some beautiful color in my images.

Regards,
Jake

Well, it seems a bit over exposed.
Can't see exif, but if this was shot wide open in bright sun you might have been better served stopping down - bokeh be damned. ;)

Can't see exif, but if this was shot wide open in bright sun you might have been better served stopping down - bokeh be damned. ;)

Sure, some of it may be over-exposed, but I was trying to expose for the the deep-red flower.

Sure, some of it may be over-exposed, but I was trying to expose for the the deep-red flower.

I think exposing for the scene and lifting the shadows (flowers) might have been more effective.
What I do sometimes in Capture NX2 is apply Active D-Lighting selectively to the areas/colors I feel need to be brighter using U-Point tools.
As a rule, I avoid ADL in-camera, but selective application in PP can be quite effective.
In CS# dodging the shadows would work well too I think.

Exposing for the very dark flowers just blew out too much of the green in my opinion.

Thanks! I'll do a re-edit and see what I can come up with!

Here is the original:

Here is the edit:

Improvement?

$_DSC4999_zpsf05e5656.jpg

I would go back and simply shoot and expose for the red flowers and not be bothered with all that other time-consuming post-processing headache. Plus, you would be eliminating all of the other elements that are hurting the composition.

Cropped it to close up on the flowers and get a better overall composition (note the more pronounced wires in the left upper corner - it gives you some movement), shifted color balance a bit (blue and cyan), a bit of shadow compensation and sharpening (Unsharp Mask). Should have photoshopped the leaf in the upper right corner, as well as another leaf on the right in the middle, but did not bother. It is hard to edit such a small file :)

Cropped it to close up on the flowers and get a better overall composition (note the more pronounced wires in the left upper corner - it gives you some movement), shifted color balance a bit (blue and cyan), a bit of shadow compensation and sharpening (Unsharp Mask). Should have photoshopped the leaf in the upper right corner, as well as another leaf on the right in the middle, but did not bother. It is hard to edit such a small file :)
I would have cropped it even more!

DBJ, I'm glad you like the new lens but the bokeh isn't that great in this shot. Just my opinion.
Without seeing the exif data I assume you shot on the wide end of the lens at 2.8?
Get closer to the flower and shoot 50mm stopped down to f/3.2 or f/4 ?

Most reactions

Back