Sigma wide-angle / filter issue

Sethboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 lens, which has a filter size of 82mm.

I ordered a B+W 82mm "Extra-Wide" UV filter, which in turn has a front filter size of 95mm (yikes!!). Now, that UV filter seems rather thick, despite flaring out to the larger diameter.

And of course, the problem is, the darn lens hood won't work with that filter in place. (Much less the supplied lens cap, but that's cheap to remedy).

So, my question is, am I better off replacing the 82mm "Extra-Wide" filter (B+W company) with a regular 82mm "slim" (or regular) filter and being able to use the lens hood? Or is there a lens hood I can get to attach to front filter (but that can cause vignetting, I guess)

I don't know if I can return the filter to B&H, since I already opened it, or what, because I'd hate to be out all that money for one I can't use. Anyone know what they would do in a case like that?

And has anyone run into a similar problem with the newer ultra-wide lenses, and how did you solve it?

I wouldn't use a UV filter. Problem solved. ;)

I don't know about the hood on that lens, but the hood for my Canon 10-22mm is all but useless. The FOV is so wide that the hood barely protrudes past the front of the lens. So I don't use it very often.

I returned the extra-wide filter to B&H and got the slim filter, it works much better and allows the hood to be used (and yes the hood is so shallow it doesn't do much at all.
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back