silhouette comparison

kitkatdubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i posted earlier that i shot my first ever silhouette.. it was shot in my friends bedroom so didn't have much space. however, i really didn't get a blurred background. so i went to photoshop and used high pass to blur out the background.

left photo is the blurred background
right is original

need to know which one you like better????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 8.09.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 8.09.11 PM.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 153
I prefer the blurred one, I think you did a great job. However, the cropped feet and the curtains bother me a bit.

i used a different image where her feet weren't cut off and i photoshopped out the curtains... how does it look now? does it look really obvious that i blurred out the background myself?

Attachments

• IMG_2303 copy.jpg
    IMG_2303 copy.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 124
The blur on your first attempt look more realistic.

i used the same opacity... :/ hmmmm....

Humm, look a the fence, the first blur is more natural looking.
Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 8.09.11 PM.jpg

i used a different image where her feet weren't cut off and i photoshopped out the curtains... how does it look now? does it look really obvious that i blurred out the background myself?

Yes
Definitely agree with Jack. It's very obvious that the background was blurred in post.

I'd say either reshoot if you can with a different background/composition, or leave the original unedited.

For the photographer ... we're nit-picky

For the customer .. they won't even notice.

so note it next time you do a shot like this, or redo.

I think one of the best ideas is to play to the strengths of the actual situation, so for the silhouette done in the bedroom with the foot of the bed in the frame, LEAVE the foot of the bed in the final image, so we can better place the photo into context. If you leave the bed in the frame shown, then the awkward foot-crop has an actual, visible, logical reason shown! But hacking off her anchor, her base, her standing position's supports, AKA the bottom half of her feet, does much more harm than it does good! This happens quite often when shooting indoors in smaller rooms...the world has couches, tables, kitchen counters, and so on in it....leaving and showing in-frame some of the furnishings is something that one often must deal with, and one approach is to figure out some way to actually include a segment of something.

For example: a night table and lamp. Does one show the entire table and lamp? That might actually work better than clipping off 2/3 of the lamp, and thus ending up with part of a night table and only a fragment of the lamp tugging at the viewers' eye at the very edge of the frame. I think this is a similar instance: leaving the part of the bed "in" would have been the better call, rather than do a foot-chop at the all-important edge of the frame.

I think one of the best ideas is to play to the strengths of the actual situation, so for the silhouette done in the bedroom with the foot of the bed in the frame, LEAVE the foot of the bed in the final image, so we can better place the photo into context. If you leave the bed in the frame shown, then the awkward foot-crop has an actual, visible, logical reason shown! But hacking off her anchor, her base, her standing position's supports, AKA the bottom half of her feet, does much more harm than it does good! This happens quite often when shooting indoors in smaller rooms...the world has couches, tables, kitchen counters, and so on in it....leaving and showing in-frame some of the furnishings is something that one often must deal with, and one approach is to figure out some way to actually include a segment of something.

For example: a night table and lamp. Does one show the entire table and lamp? That might actually work better than clipping off 2/3 of the lamp, and thus ending up with part of a night table and only a fragment of the lamp tugging at the viewers' eye at the very edge of the frame. I think this is a similar instance: leaving the part of the bed "in" would have been the better call, rather than do a foot-chop at the all-important edge of the frame.

thank you = that was very helpful. for my first silhouette, i feel like it wasn't terrible. this girl is my friend and she was doing me a favor by letting me practice on her. it was so fun and i learned a lot! thanks all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back