Silhouettes and exposing for highlights

gayle23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone advise on the best way to create silhouettes. In terms of exposing for the highlights would you suggest shooting in manual or in a priority mode then using exposure compensation? or should I spot meter for the highlights then hold the exposure lock button or something? I've found when I focus on the background to get the exposure on the highlights then the subject is out of focus so that technique isn't working. What would be the easiest way? Getting a bit confused by it. Any advice would be great. Thanks

No magic. However you get to the right exposure is immaterial. What matters is the right exposure. It is a matter of contrast. That is adjustable after the exposure as you know.

It seems you are mixing up two issues - exposure and focus.

In a silhouette, typically the background is well exposed and the foreground subject is black or very dark. So, expose for the background and let the foreground exposure happen where it will. You can darken it in post processing if necessary.

However, most of the time the silhouetted foreground subject is in focus so focus on the foreground.

Typically the background is not in very sharp focus but, if you want both the foreground and background to be in sharp focus, you must use an aperture that will give a wide depth of field. Small opening (large numbers like f8 and f11) give a greater depth of field.
Rather than go at this hit or miss, I suggest you read about depth of field in one of the many online tutorials.

.. should I spot meter for the highlights then hold the exposure lock button or something?
Either of those methods should work, but try to select subject/background with a lot of contrast to begin with. Some of the better results can be made using a bright light source in the background, and you might not even need to meter for the light source, but just dial up some (negative) EV and go for it. Be sure to look at the histogram when evaluating the exposure. Make sure your focus area is on the subject, and if your camera has difficulty in finding focus, make sure the focus-assist light is activated. (It won't show up in the photo) Good luck!

.. should I spot meter for the highlights then hold the exposure lock button or something?
Either of those methods should work, but try to select subject/background with a lot of contrast to begin with. Some of the better results can be made using a bright light source in the background, and you might not even need to meter for the light source, but just dial up some (negative) EV and go for it. Be sure to look at the histogram when evaluating the exposure. Make sure your focus area is on the subject, and if your camera has difficulty in finding focus, make sure the focus-assist light is activated. (It won't show up in the photo) Good luck!
Great thank you. Gonna have a practise this weekend. I have a vague understanding of using the histogram but don't think I make use of it properly yet, need to look up a tutorial on it.

It seems you are mixing up two issues - exposure and focus.

In a silhouette, typically the background is well exposed and the foreground subject is black or very dark. So, expose for the background and let the foreground exposure happen where it will. You can darken it in post processing if necessary.

However, most of the time the silhouetted foreground subject is in focus so focus on the foreground.

Typically the background is not in very sharp focus but, if you want both the foreground and background to be in sharp focus, you must use an aperture that will give a wide depth of field. Small opening (large numbers like f8 and f11) give a greater depth of field.
Rather than go at this hit or miss, I suggest you read about depth of field in one of the many online tutorials.
So when you say expose for the background or the highlights you mean in manual mode don't you? Then focus on the subject with the settings set for a properly exposed background which would render the subject purposely underexposed. It would be the same though wouldn't it if I used a priority mode and used negative exposure compensation? Think I make things more complicated in my head than they actually are sometimes. Thank you for replying so quickly

No magic. However you get to the right exposure is immaterial. What matters is the right exposure. It is a matter of contrast. That is adjustable after the exposure as you know.
Thank you, I just need to experiment a bit I think

So when you say expose for the background or the highlights you mean in manual mode don't you? Then focus on the subject with the settings set for a properly exposed background which would render the subject purposely underexposed. It would be the same though wouldn't it if I used a priority mode and used negative exposure compensation? Think I make things more complicated in my head than they actually are sometimes. Thank you for replying so quickly

Any mode you. Just get the background well-exposed and let the -hopefully- darker foreground fall where it will.

I wouldn't have mentioned this except for the opportunity to respond again but trees/statues/buildings in silhouette against a colorful sky is a real cliche that draws new photographers. It is a decent exercise to hone those skills but it seems that every new photographer does a few of those.

Any mode you. Just get the background well-exposed and let the -hopefully- darker foreground fall where it will.

I wouldn't have mentioned this except for the opportunity to respond again but trees/statues/buildings in silhouette against a colorful sky is a real cliche that draws new photographers. It is a decent exercise to hone those skills but it seems that every new photographer does a few of those.
Yes I get that that is a bit cliche! For me I guess it is more about improving my skills like you said and being able to underexpose subjects against the background if it suits the moment that's going on that I'm trying to capture. It's like I know the kind of pictures I want to be taking but I sometimes struggle in how to get there! Thanks so much for your help.

.. I know the kind of pictures I want to be taking but I sometimes struggle in how to get there!
And no one else in the history of photography has ever experienced that, right? :rolleyes:

I think it means you should keep trying stuff. :trink39:

Most reactions

Back