Simple scene: Pacific Ocean from Russian Ridge

Matt Tilghman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.matttilghman.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. Here's another shot from my favorite location, this one actually from February... yearning for the rainy season I suppose. In this simple scene from Russian Ridge, California, the drama was all in my mind. I know that the Pacific Ocean got its name when Ferdinand Magellan passed through the Straits of Magellan and into the relative calmness of the ocean beyond, but here I was rewriting history in my head. As someone who moved from Florida to San Francisco, it's hard for me to imagine that anyone considers the Pacific calm. However, unlike the Atlantic in Florida, many of my chances to glimpse the Pacific come from mountaintops. From up here, where you can't make out the swells and breakers, the sea looks as tranquil as an alpine lake. Even though I know it's incorrect, I imagined that the Pacific Ocean got its name when the early land-based explorers ascended these coastal mountains and got their first glimpse of the ocean, from up high. It's the only place where I can see the Pacific as "calm."

Pacific Ocean from Russian Ridge

Thanks for looking!

I like this photo, and I share your sentiments about the powerful so-called Pacific ocean.

Most reactions

Back