Simplest/best way to learn Time lapse Photography?

Amelia Jensen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've understood some fairly basic principals about photography for a number of years now, but the reality is that I've never taken the time to become proficient with shooting in Manual mode.
I'm currently wanting to learn Time Lapse Photography as I do as much videography as I do photography and often there is more of a focus on the video side of things. Does anyone here have some advice on whether or not I need to become really proficient at manual mode on my camera (Lumix GH5)before learning Time Lapse Photography and having my sequence of images turn out well because of choosing the correct exposure for the situation?

other than Keith's info
3 things:

1 - practice
2 - practice,
and
3 - practice some more.

The more you practice in various scenarios the more effective and knowledgeable you'll become with knowing your camera, techniques and time-lapse processing. If you are in manual keep in mind the changing lighting that you may have, especially outdoors. So you'll have to have a setting that will also vary (unless you are sitting there the entire time) with each exposure.

Thanks for all your thoughts here! KmH - that Step by Step guide is useful - I've been giving it a read along with another site I found that's pretty extensive as well. Dennybeall - My camera certainly has the capability to do Time Lapse already (i.e I already can choose the interval time and # of photos etc) and the subjects I currently plan to film will be cloud movements , possibly sunset work, night time captures and whatever else I think makes sense to show an interesting perspective on change in our environment. We'll see!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back