Sin City - Grainy, contrasty film look?

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Further editing of a test shot - I'd just found a used Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 SC manual focus lens in a photography market, and took a few available light test shots of my 'Muse' as soon as I got back home.

I originally used the Fuji Acros in-camera film simulation, making further editing tricky - but I increased contrast in a re-edit to give a more dramatic 'Sin City' look. The combination of the film sim, plus some fairly crude editing of a jpeg image, has given the background a grungy look that wasn't really there - but I thought it suited the casual look of the setting, and turned a test shot into something more ..... ?

2018_0829_00054700-01-02.jpeg

Nicely done. I like the grunge. If you ask me, Sin City was all about grunge so the grungier the better. Just a suggestion but a pistol or a knife laying next to her on the bed sheet would be an added touch to the "dark mood." :cool:

Nicely done. I like the grunge. If you ask me, Sin City was all about grunge so the grungier the better. Just a suggestion but a pistol or a knife laying next to her on the bed sheet would be an added touch to the "dark mood." :cool:

Yes - Good idea - when we can try again, we need some props.

I love the image but do not care for the processing. It is patchy looking and the grain looks strange and uneven (on my monitor). Her skin doesn't look right as well. I have found with shot's like this, it is better to convert the Acros simulation in fine jpeg and add play around with the grain, contrast, shadow etc. No harm in converting several different custom acros simulations. Or you could edit the raw. I would suggest a TriX pushed 1 stop and play with the blacks and white while adjusting the color sliders, while adding additional grain if desired. I wish I could have a crack at that raw. Nice image. For what it's worth, I have never been impressed by that lens for what it sells for, the 58 is far superior. The Fuju 35 1.4 puts that lens to shame.

I love the image but do not care for the processing. It is patchy looking and the grain looks strange and uneven (on my monitor). Her skin doesn't look right as well. I have found with shot's like this, it is better to convert the Acros simulation in fine jpeg and add play around with the grain, contrast, shadow etc. No harm in converting several different custom acros simulations. Or you could edit the raw. I would suggest a TriX pushed 1 stop and play with the blacks and white while adjusting the color sliders, while adding additional grain if desired. I wish I could have a crack at that raw. Nice image. For what it's worth, I have never been impressed by that lens for what it sells for, the 58 is far superior. The Fuju 35 1.4 puts that lens to shame.

You're right - editing an Acros jpeg can make the grain look odd ...... but I don't have a RAW file for this one. I like the 40mm SC for a certain 'look' when used for black and white - but yes, the Fuji 35mm f1.4 is much more versatile, and is probably my favourite lens.

To each their own,was never a fan of Fuji film, even less of their simulations, but then I'm not a big fan of any camera controlling the end finish. That said I really like the image and the direction you've gone subject to the comments made by JC. I played with the image a little in PS. Most of the patchiness can be with very little editing on the JPEG in PS. With that done it's a very good image.

Most reactions

Back