since I hang out here the most

tkme4ard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
can I share with you how scary it is to go manual? I have fiddled with my camera all day today. I can not figure it out. I get the higher the ISO number the more light it lets in so you go higher the darker it is, outside and sunny? iso 100. RIGHT?

um yeah, that's all I got. I'm tired of shooting in auto and getting lucky with a good shot here or there. I want to be good dang it. I just don't know how.

I have had my rebel for over 2 years now. WHAT is my problem?

So as I'm playing with my camera and readjusting things to how I think it might go and the numbers are all non blinking but there is a circle to the far right that DOES blink and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I want to pull my hair out. Seriously.

You don't read enough.
You don't practice enough.
You do one of the above but not the other.

Read this http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm.
Bracket your shots at first to start to get a feel of it. Pay attention to what combinations of shutter speed and aperture you are using. Leave ISO constant (at 100) unless you need more light, for example indoors. Then your increased your ISO, but as the ISO gets higher, the noise level will also get higher.

Always shoot lowest ISO unless you have to change it.

Here's a tip for outside. It's called the "sunny 16 rule"

In full sunlight without too many clouds, you can set your camera to f16 and 1 OVER your ISO number.

AKA

f16
ISO 100
1/100 shutter speed

If you need a faster shutter speed...open it up wider...but double the shutter speed for every stop you open it up.

It's a bit tricky...and this only works for sunlight...but meh...it's better than nothing. At least you can get started.

I know how hard it is! I understand it's frustrating but you'll get it! Don't worry - and once you do you'll still have issues for a while but overcoming them feels really good!
Read any book you can get your hands on when you have time - that really is key. You might even have toread the same one several times but once you understand how it works it's a little easier to get it to do what you want it to - just like a man! haha ;)

i never used that sunny 16 rule. i dunno if your camera has it, but i use spot metering, point the focus spot to the part i want to be exposed properly, change my settings (f/stop first) then shutter speed, i always want the highest shutter speed, well most of the time, i usually dont shoot below 1/60, then i increase the ISO until my meter says its exposed properly, then i shoot, and adjust settings again to brighten or darken the photo and shoot again. If i want more DOF (more things in focus) then i shoot at a higher f/stop number and change my shutter speed or ISO accordingly. also i uslaly never go above iso 200, at the most, 400. if i have to go above 400 ill use a flash.

Most reactions

Back