since I'm not a landscape photog (56k?!)

Doxx - the second shot looks like a cartoon. And I mean that as high praise, seriously. I like all of them, but this one just stands out as a fantastical image! :thumbsup:

Fabulous.

doxx said:
Canon 10D with a Sigma 15-30mm. I usually resize my images for internet use in a few steps - downsample - sharpen - downsample - sharpen. Photoshop actions come in very handy...

My question probably belongs in a different thread, but could you elaborate on this process?

I have a cheapo 48 bit flatbed scanner which I'm using to scan 8x10 BW prints. If I scan at anything less than 600 dpi I get crazy patterns particularly in the shadows. So I'm scanning at 600 dpi and wanting to know the best way to downsize to something more internet friendly. Thanks.

hello ks,

sounds like 600 dpi is the native (hardware) resolution of your scanner. Cheapo scanner softwares interpolate not as good as Photoshop does - that's why you get crazy patterns.

anyway, here is how it goes - assuming you use Photoshop for post processing

1.) scan @600 dpi (preferably in color, >16 bit) gives you nice huge files
with enough room for color changes etc.
change the white and black point in the scan software only, forget about all the other tools - Photoshop gives you more control
2.) save as tif or import directly into Photoshop
3.) downsample image to 300dpi (>image size >activate resample bicubic)
3a.) change image size to approx. 500px on the long side (nice size for web use)
4.) unsharp mask (see screen preview, adjust to you preference -approx. 100%, 1px radius, depends on the quality of your scanner, play with it)
5.) make color corrections, color balance etc. if necessary)
5a.) reduce bit depth to 8 bit (>image >mode)
6.) downsample image to 150 dpi
7.) sharpen again (lesser value than before, maybe 50%, 1px radius)
8.) downsample to 72 dpi (screen resolution)
9.) sharpen again (lesser value than before, 25%, 0.5px)
10.) save image for web (jpg, compress the file that you can bear the quality, but the file is small enough for web use, maybe around 20kb)

that's it - if you're a little bit experienced it takes you less than 2 minutes per image.

If I have a batch of pictures and want to do it super-quick - I recorded many steps in Photoshop actions. Just hit 'play action' and my computer does all the work automatically for me while I sip my Heineken ;)

Most reactions

Back