sister shoot

better.. but not much! The subject is soft in every one.. even on your Flickr page at full size. The eyes are soft... OOF!

#1.. ok.. but why cut her foot off? and even this is OOF!

#2 - could have been nice.. but focus is off

#3.. tight in the frame... but at least you left some breathing room for her. But the way she is cut off is not really nice... and it is OOF!

Stop shooting wide open.. that is probably the MOST COMMON mistake made by people new to photography! Have you ever even look at a DOF calculator to realize how shallow your DOF is at 1.8? And your sony looks like it is not focusing accurately either.. if you are using AF. If you are manually focusing.. you might need glasses!

I love the first one. Lots of focal points dotted around, all necessary except the slightly distracting thing at the top right. Edit it out, don't crop, because that space to the right is needed. Glad you kept the colour in all of these. It's clearly something that's important for her to express.

2's also nice, as is 3 but in that one there's a lack of texture in her face maybe brought on by the brightness or, dare I say it, make-up. Can't say definitively what it is that makes her lose an expressive quality in that last one, for I am a novice, but there's something.

You know... I didn't even mention.. why are you shooting PEOPLE at 1.3 seconds.... or even a tenth of a second? Do you honestly expect them not to move at all? They are human.. They will move.. and even the tiniest bit.. and boom.. blur! Add that to the shallow DOF you insist on using.. and there ya go! :)

I can't say much for the photo. I'd rather not be blasted out of the forum for giving wrong advice so I try to watch what I say but I will say I think your sister looks nice. From an amateur standpoint I like the last two images but I can promise you that someone will have some very harsh (but very good) critique. The people on this forum can be harsh at times but they will point out things that you never noticed and give you great tips on improving your photos that you will appreciate later

You know... I didn't even mention.. why are you shooting PEOPLE at 1.3 seconds.... or even a tenth of a second? Do you honestly expect them not to move at all? They are human.. They will move.. and even the tiniest bit.. and boom.. blur! Add that to the shallow DOF you insist on using.. and there ya go! :)

He could be trying to get more ambient light into the photo. Though I feel bad for his sister :p

He could be trying to get more ambient light into the photo. Though I feel bad for his sister :p

Ambient light? Ok.. a blurry well exposed photo is better than nothing, right? (I don't think so!) Even with a Sony, he could have kicked the ISO up a couple of notches if needed.. people are not statues.. they move. I would never shoot people at less than 1/60... and would much prefer never under 1/200 if I can. FLASH is good for people.. and preventing movement if there is not adequate light for a good ambient exposure. She has highlights in her eyes from something.. either flash or reflector.... looks like flash since it is a very defined highlight....

Ambient light? Ok.. a blurry well exposed photo is better than nothing, right? (I don't think so!) Even with a Sony, he could have kicked the ISO up a couple of notches if needed.. people are not statues.. they move. I would never shoot people at less than 1/60... and would much prefer never under 1/200 if I can. FLASH is good for people.. and preventing movement if there is not adequate light for a good ambient exposure. She has highlights in her eyes from something.. either flash or reflector.... looks like flash since it is a very defined highlight....

Oh I completely agree. That's why I said I feel bad for his sister lol

Well im gunna try use my cam in manual mode more often to change shutter speed. i just played around with it and deff noticed a diff in speed LOL.. i guess thats somethink iv been doings wrong and might help with blur LOL.. as for a flash i dont really like the effect i get with a flash i think the one on cam is a lil harsh i think i might get a flash diffuser might help. thanks for the advice

Instead of full manual you can use shutter priority mode. Just select your shutter speed and the camera will do the rest...

Instead of full manual you can use shutter priority mode. Just select your shutter speed and the camera will do the rest...
will that help the photos not be so dark. i changed the shutter speed higher and the photos some out dark.I dont really want my ISO to high as photos come out with tones of noise.

....these are not bad shots.
One is good except for the toe clip.
2 is my favorite, could it be sharper yeah, but not a big deal...sharpness is overrated especially at this small size.
That one is set up nicely and good color, well managed light and overall scene. I like her outfit and she looks pretty and confident, a nice portrait. When you get a shot like that where the nose line starts to lose it's shape take the burn tool (very small) and trace just the smallest line along the outline of her nose against the cheek.
3 is a bit below the other two quality wise...lose the frame...lost some detail in her face and the background is not working.
I do like that pose and the lighting conceptually.

will that help the photos not be so dark. i changed the shutter speed higher and the photos some out dark.I dont really want my ISO to high as photos come out with tones of noise.
If there is nothing flashing in the viewfinder, the pictures should be be exposed properly...

I think you need to read up more on what proper exposure is. How iso shutter speed and aperture relate to each other. Do you understand your cameras metering? Bc if you did your exposure wouldn't be so "dark". Also read up on depth of field and get the hell away from a 1.8 aperture.....

I personally found using av and tv mode really helped me learn proper exposure bc I directly saw if I change one thing I saw how it changed the rest.

A good book is understanding exposure by Bryan peterson. A lot of folks here recommend it.

Young grasshopper you have a lot of reading to do and practicing. You have good ideas but need to understand photography more to execute them correctly!

Most reactions

Back