Size Matters

johnnywyoming

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting used cars for a dealership for almost two years. Recently they started taking photos of their new cars with a phone. They like the size of the image that the phone produces on their website and want to have the same size (4032 x 1960) for the used cars. I always shoot in RAW, convert it to jpeg in Photoshop but cannot come up with the same dimensions. I use a Canon 50D with the EFS 10-22mm lens. My guess is that the different sensor sizes would make it impossible to match the size the phone is delivering for them…? Ideas? Thanks.

You've got 4752 x 3168 to play with, so that exact ratio of 4032 x 1960 is 72 x 35. 2x1 would be close but if you want those exact dimensions just use thaf aspect ratio then output to 4032 on the long edge and that should do it I think.

Most decent editors will allow you to specify the output. What editing software do you use?

The good news is that you have more pixels in your shots. Shrinking is easy.

The standard dSLR aspect ratio is 3:2, and the aspect ration of their frame is just over 2:1, so apparently they prefer the more cinematic wide image. Basically if you want to match their size, you need to shrink your image from 4752 to 4032 wide while keeping the aspect ratio, and then crop to get the height. You'll have to select what gets cropped, and plan for that loss as you shoot. you'll lose 728 vertical pixels after you shrink it, but that can be all at the top, all at the bottom, or some of each.

If your editing software can't resize and crop, then your editing software sucks...

I'm using Photoshop CS4 so that should work for me (old school, I know, I know.)

Tried it in Photoshop... worked excellent. Thanks a lot! :1219:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back