Skateboarding/Trying out the new Superwide

DuncanK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Castlegar B.C. for the summer, Calgary in Septembe
I'm not a skate photographer by any means and it does seem so cliche to shoot skating with a fisheye but well, we need a cover shot for the Kootenay Western Star because my editor quit and they're flying in some emergency guy. And it seemed a good idea as any.

I might head to the waterpark later and get some summertime fun shots (just talk to the parents beforehand), which is more up my alley shooting news and whatnot. Anyways, enjoy, comments and critiques welcomed. I'm going to be posting several version of the same photo so tell me which one you prefer.

Also if anyone has some software or plugins for Photoshop where I can correct wide angle distortion?

Thanks

silhouette.jpg

toweringlighter.jpg

toweringfigure.jpg

wide.jpg

What lens were these shot with? You mention a superwide, i assume a fisheye, but which one on which camera?

Honestly, skate photography takes practice. I like 3 and 5. :thumbsup:

PTLens is good software to remove distortion. To be honest i wouldn't remove the distortion in these pictures. It's not that bad and it fits the skateboarding theme.

I'm sorry but if you ever want to get better, you need to hear the truth. These are no good as far as a skateboard photo goes. All I can tell you to do is pick up a copy of The Skateboard Mag and study every photograph in there, particularly Atiba Jeffersons work. Don't let this get you down, just let it motovate you to get better.

I think if you want to get better at skateboard photography you really need to spend some time with skaters, hang out with them and learn about the tricks. You'll learn about what exactly needs to be shown in the photograph depending on what trick they're doing. As Jeazy said, looking at skate magazines and the photos that are published will help too. Timing is very very important.

I look at most of these photos and with the exception of 7 and 8 in your first lot, I cant tell what tricks the skaters are actually doing. You can time your shots to help show the trick better.

It's also important to show the obstacle, where the skater is coming from and where they are going to land, and make sure you don't cut off any part of the skaters body or their board.

you got some good advice here. and honestly I wouldn''t worry about the distortion...the distortion in wide angle pics is this what makes those pics look interesting...

They look alright to me, try to remember that this isn't the cover of Skateboarding magazine. It's for a local Rag and It doesn't sound like he's shooting predominantly skateboarding anyways. From the sound of it, He's on a deadline and doesn't have time to Hang out with a bunch of skaters and commit hundreds of photos to memory. Great first try, I like the second set better than the first (Less amputated Limbs) Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back