Skateboard session photography/ lens?

ZEPHYR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I reside in Arizona, But I don't "live" here
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What the optimum lens to use for skateboarding photography? My equip is a Nikon D300. I have a Nikon 10mm 2.8 fisheye lens, and a 55-200mm.
I have close access to the skaters and their tricks. Which makes a better, appealing photo? Zoom lens or 10mm fisheye? The thought of using a zoom lens to shoot skate sessions seems less appealing and lame... what do you guys think? What do YOU want to see?
I hear that the fisheye is the most popular and most used, however I would like to get some feedback from anyone here that has skateboarding photography experience.

Thanx!!:thumbup:
:D

fisheye would produce nice results :)
see if you can get your hands on 17-55

What do YOU want to see?

It's not about what we want to see. It's about what you want to show us. Photography is about expressing and conveying your point of view, your perspective. Once you can answer that, many of your other questions will be answered as well.

I never liked using a fisheye. The main lens I use for skateboard photography is a 17-24. With that lens I was able to be in the action to get a full frame and not get any distortion.

It comes down to fisheye or telephoto - the fisheye lens is the clear choice.

All advice considered and appreciated. I have a 17-55MM however it's a 3.5 Fstop. It was a gift by someone who knew nothing about Fstops.
I'm in Phoenix so the lighting will be ok for that crappy Fstop lens.
What I meant by "what do you wanna see" when or if you go through the skate magz, which shots are the ones that mostly "catch" your eye?
But I hear ya about self expression, I love that advice, one I need to remember often.
Thanks to all who replied!

Now sell me your 10mm 2.8 fisheye lens. :)

Lol, I got it only a few months back, I dig it and it's a great lens.
I have a friend that has the same lens and he's selling it. He moved up to the D700, what's your budget for this lens?
Let me know.

I would go fisheye personally, but definitely do some shots with the tele as well. I read a post on another forum by a pro skate photographer that said either fisheye or telephoto is the only way to go, anything in between looks wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back