photoflyer

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
mikeatherton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
@SquarePeg 's excellent shot from the lighthouse motivated me to try again. So, up to the Skyline Drive I went. Shot from Fishers Gap Overlook: Stanley Virginia and Shenandoah River in the valley.

20200718215026_IMG_9310-01_copy_1546x1410.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that works.

Very nice but I'm curious as to why the city lights are streaking a tad toward the 10 c'clock. Did you bump the tripod mid pic perhaps?

Very nice but I'm curious as to why the city lights are streaking a tad toward the 10 c'clock. Did you bump the tripod mid pic perhaps?

Very good eye! I actually shot this with the Sky Adventurer tracker. It was a 30 second exposure so while the stars are sharp, the foreground is just a little blurry. In other versions I actually reduce the exposure of the foreground so it's less noticeable.

At 24mm I probably didn't need the tracker but I wanted the Stars to be as sharp as possible and the comment as well.

oh a tracker - fancy! I have been tempted to get one. I think most people shoot a static foreground and do it as a composite? Haven't gotten much into that.

Nice shot even with the city lights. I wonder why the comet is so faint here.

oh a tracker - fancy! I have been tempted to get one. I think most people shoot a static foreground and do it as a composite? Haven't gotten much into that.

True but in this case there is nothing of interest (like a lighthouse) so I don't think it matters. If they're looking at the town I've failed.

Nice shot even with the city lights. I wonder why the comet is so faint here.

This is a 30 second exposure. I got very lucky. There was a thunderstorm about 100 miles away so lightening is actually lighting one of the clouds from above. It's like having the biggest strobe on earth.

You definitely didn't fail. I didn't notice the town until someone else pointed it out.

It's no failure the lights being like that but if you wanted you could simply crop from the bottom up to just above the hills and no more city lights.

I wouldn't crop out the city light.

Great shot! I had a hunch "tracker" was going to be your answer when I saw the questions. And I didn't even notice the lights.

Definitely a good eye, Kirk. I had to enlarge the photo to see what you're talking about on my phone.
I certainly would not crop the city either. It adds much to the pic. Very nice! Everyone has done very well with this common subject. I never would have even known about the comet if not for everyone's photos here.

I think most people shoot a static foreground and do it as a composite? Haven't gotten much into that

You guys are killing me with these cool comet photos. I was wondering if the shots were “real” or composites. Never done night photography, but it’s on my list

Most reactions

New Topics

Back