Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
sleightofhand1.jpg

This is from a group I took at the DC Pride Parade which can be seen at this link.. Mostly SFW

You have caught such a wonderful look of concentration on that little boy's face.

I had a look at the link. I really like the opening shot on your slideshow. 12 and 52 are my favourites. Photo 1 captures a lovely, happy moment and photo 52 has such a bold, defiant air. :thumbup:

Thanks, Tish.
If you mean the one of the two people sitting outside at separate tables, I like that also; it is a little too subtle for most people to enjoy.
(I don't know which photos you mean, they each have long numbers that pop up when you move the cursor and it is easier to point to them with their last 4.)

(edit) my remark was dumb; I just saw the running count at the top.

Last edited:
Photo 2? Ah! I am glad you mentioned that one. I wasn't sure if I was over-thinking it but, it seemed to me that the connection of the girl's glance being unseen by the girl in the yellow is symbolized by that line of water on the pavement which creates a divide between them. Or maybe it was just me looking to see what the story was? I find your photos interesting because there always seems to be another layer which wants to tell a story.

The neatest thing about street photography is that sometimes we can get a window into the complexities of other peoples' lives. That's what bothers me about most portrait or posed photography. It is usually 'closed'; we see only what the photographer wants us to see and there is not much way to see beyond that.

A Scots friend wrote this to me about street photography.

"Your chosen field - "street" - is maybe the hardest of all in photography. The photographer stalks his chosen environment where, essentially, nothing is happening - people are quietly going about their business - and yet has to select tiny moments when an image can be snatched which is more than the sum of its parts - fractions of a second often, where some fleeting coincidence of expression, gesture, positioning, and movement come together to create an instant which holds some undefinable meaning. It's a very hard task; maybe only 20 or so photographers in the whole of the 20th century were really successful at it."

I certainly don't think that I'm 'really successfull' but when I get even a partial success, I'm happy, like catching lightning in a bottle.

Interesting Lew..

DOF even though the whole contents of the photo are all in focus, the kids size and placement makes him the main focal point to me. It's also good excercise
of having a centered subject and making it work. The crowd behind him just compliments that as the child's enthusiasm also seems to separate him from the rest.

As far as the camera angle is concern, I would've shot it eye level with the child and the table(where the magic props) which would've given it a grander scale from
the child's perspecitive as the crowd behind him would be towering over him even more from that angle - creating a more dominant centered subject.
But that's easy for me to say as in photojournalism it's tough to recreate.

I enjoyed the series you linked up man.

Most reactions

Back