Slide film

Take a poll, ask only photographers who entered the business in the last five years if they every heard of cibachrome, ever shot slides, had any idea what an internegative was before this thread.... I would bet it's less than 2% so all this is probably a moot point. The knowledge and the love of the pure image will be lost to the "dummy down" effect.... Sorry

It's

This is fun for us old guys and gals to kick around though.

Seriously it might be around as an artist tool but for the majority of photograpers it never will have existed.

I completely agree with the dummy down effect. Another issue I have is in so many other industries the newer ones are appreciative of where their industry came from and have learned about the history. The photo industry is one exception and it does not make better photographers. The ones that know where it has come from and what used to be in my opinion are the ones that can take today's technology and make great photographs. One of the first classes I had to take in art school was the History of Photography. They felt and I do as well if you don't know and understand where and what it came from you don't understand your craft. Then again is it about understanding and loving the craft or making a picture and a buck?

My very first instructor's comment, when she started the intoduction history in answer to our moans, was you will never know where you are till you know where you've been. you can't know where to go, if you dont know where you are. Or something like that.

It sounded better when a thirty five year old blonde woman with oil paint stains on her jeans said it to a much much younger me.

well, if it makes you all feel better, im only 23, so i must not be the only new photographer interested in all this film stuff. Granted, the reason i went to film is because i couldnt afford digital and my dad happened to have a nice fully manual pentax camera with pretty good glass. I started out taking lots of digital pictures with a point and shoot and wanted to get more into photography and the only way i could do that was film. Well now that im here, and have learned how to develope and stuff i deffinatly feel that i will stay. I do want to get a nice digital camera but having shot and printed my own black and white photos and spent hours tinkering in a dark room, and having shot velvia slide film, i feel that even when i can afford a DSLR, my trusty film camera will stay in my camera bag ready to get busted out anytime i see a truely good shot.

and plus, from what i have seen here and in art galleries, digital is amazing, but i have never seen it quite reproduce a high quality B&W or slide printed on this ilfochrome

Most reactions

New Topics

Back