Slightly Dissapointed

jonathon94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I woke up this morning at 6:30 started packing my gear and by 6:50 I was out the door feeling good. There was a light drizzle but nothing I felt bad about and I assumed it would clear up or at least stay the same. I start walking the mile to the spot where I set up. I put up my tripod and attach my camera. I set the shutter speed and fire off a few test shots I see they are all blurry so I try looking for the reason, it turns out that my lens was set to manual focus from last night. I change it back and wait.

By 7:20 the sky is brighter but no sun. There was fog and clouds in the sky but I thought that a giant ball of fire would surely penetrate and I could at least see it. Turns out that I won't see a sunrise this morning. I begin packing up my gear to walk home. As I walked a little further, I took a look at the fog and though maybe I could get something out of this morning venture so it wasn't a complete waste of time (not to mention sleep) So I pull out my camera and fire off a few shots with different shutter speeds and different ISOs. I then switch out to my Telephoto (75-300mm) and take some shots of the trees with the fog over them. As I'm walking back I saw what I thought was a good shot of the road and the fog. I look through my viewfinder, aim, and shoot. I then can't wait to come home and see what I captured.

About two minutes after I start walking it starts pouring so I quickly put my camera back into my bag and put my rain jacket on. By the time I am in front of the front of my house I spot two birds (I've been wanting to get a decent bird shot.) and I pull my camera out again since the rain has already settled back down to a drizzle. I try to spot them again but I couldn't so I walk a little in that direction and sure enough they fly up to a branch so I zoom all the way in and shoot a few shots by then it starts pouring again and I put the camera back. I walk up my hill and head inside.

I start drying off the camera, lens, bag, etc. I notice one of my lens has some some fog on the inside of the lens so I set it on my desk to dissipate along with my camera. The telephotos seems fine so I pack that one back up. Then I put the memory card in my computer copy the RAW files to my harddrive and then import them to Lightroom and that's when I become very disappointed. Most of these shots have either horrible composition, are two dark, or are too bright in the cases of some of them. As for the birds I shot, the branches covered them enough so that they weren't very good shots. I think from now on my shots will never be conducted in any weather that appears like it will cause trouble. I will never pick a scene with so many elements in the Background that would distract any viewers. Last but not least I will not subject my lenses to any conditions that will cause them trouble because now I have a lens I have to clean up and get back on my Camera.

To the Pros on this forums I'm sure many of these points will seem like common sense but to me It is my hard way of learning. I thought I could get some good shots of the sun coming up and shining through the clouds and the fog. I was incorrect and ended up with many shots that were bad and I lost plenty of sleep. I just figured you guys would want to hear of my failure :p

This appears to be my best shot from this morning but it is nothing I'm proud of.

Foggy Morning by Jonathons Photography, on Flickr

As the famous phrase goes "You live and You learn....." and you always have tomorrow to try to capture that awesome sunrise shot you strive for! :)

While I do have tomorrow, it will be my last day till next weekend because I have to go to the torture chamber that everyone calls school Tuesday :p

If your in school then your young so you probably have more time than me to catch that shot

While I do have tomorrow, it will be my last day till next weekend because I have to go to the torture chamber that everyone calls school Tuesday :p
Bad attitude. :lmao:

If you think school is bad, wait till you have to get a full-time J O B.

KmH said:

Full time jobs aren't bad, 40hrs a week, paid vacation, no homework and they allow you to buy toys like cameras, computers, cars. But it probably depends on the job also.

KmH said:

Full time jobs aren't bad, 40hrs a week, paid vacation, no homework and they allow you to buy toys like cameras, computers, cars. But it probably depends on the job also.

I can only hope I get a good job. But at the moment when I'm supposed to be applying for colleges, I have absolutely no clue on what I want to do with my life Great huh?

jonathon94 said:
I can only hope I get a good job. But at the moment when I'm supposed to be applying for colleges, I have absolutely no clue on what I want to do with my life Great huh?

Most kids in college don't know what they want to do. I mean, some kids just know what they want to do/be but it's not as common as not knowing. You'll figure it out eventually !

I have so many options I don't even know what to try. I don't know if I want to do programming or video, or be a photographer

-Please ignore typos I'm currently on my phone-

MTVision said:
Most kids in college don't know what they want to do. I mean, some kids just know what they want to do/be but it's not as common as not knowing. You'll figure it out eventually !

Computer Engineering with a minor in interactive media,hopefully will insure many toys while keeping the family fed :)

I have so many options I don't even know what to try. I don't know if I want to do programming or video, or be a photographer

Do you have any computer/programming classes under your belt? It's a great advantage as I found out coming to college. I'm a freshman with a Major in Computer Information Technology and a minor in Communications. Unfortunately at my university they don't have a interactive design minor for me, but luckily the Comm. department falls into that and I can pick my classes. So essentially I will have a major in Computer IT and minor in Communications ( which i will make it Graphic design for me;))

Do you have any computer/programming classes under your belt? It's a great advantage as I found out coming to college. I'm a freshman with a Major in Computer Information Technology and a minor in Communications. Unfortunately at my university they don't have a interactive design minor for me, but luckily the Comm. department falls into that and I can pick my classes. So essentially I will have a major in Computer IT and minor in Communications ( which i will make it Graphic design for me;))

No but I've had a natural talent for computers since I was young

Most reactions

New Topics

Back