Slightly NSFW: New image - Casual Portraits - Island Cottage

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These casual shots were taken under what is common conditions for us - small room, no studio set-up, travelling light as travel was by small boat - so any feedback will help me to improve my portraits under these sort of conditions.

Fuji X-E2 (didn't want to risk my newer X-T2 on boat/motorcycle trip), only one lens to keep weight down - a 35mm f1.4 - (options would have been a 23 f1.4, 56 f1.2 or an 18-135 zoom).

Heavy monsoon rain kept us in the cottage for a while, so a chance for a few photos - 'model' not keen on posing, so some shots taken while she was messaging on her phone.

Minimal post processing and black and white conversuons using Lightroom on a mobile (no access to a laptop for a while).

Last image was just a fun one - but shown in color - the sun on the previous days had darkened her skin, much to her horror and my delight - I love the 'dusky maiden' look.

1. Window light
2020-09-23_09-13-53.jpg

2. Phonetime
2020_0816_15090300(2)-04-01 (1)-2.jpg

3. The Look
20200921-2020-09-20_06-40-46-01.jpg

4. Laughter - Color
2020-09-23_09-13-35.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful muse you have.

Yes ..... 10 years together now, and I'm still entranced. Often have to grab the camera just to record the moments.

Hands down the last one is my pick. A genuine smile just lights up the whole face, beautiful!

I can't add much to the above. She has a delightful smile.

One more from the beach-side cottage. I thought the mosquito net would make a romantic back-drop, but of the two dozen photos we took, I wasn't really happy with any. But I looked again at the images today, and thought this one had something - and tried a black and white conversion. Fuji XF35mm f1.4 again, as it was my only lens on this trip.

20200925-2020_0817_11134100(2)-02.jpg

Did you get any from this series with her looking to the side? She looks like wherever she is in thought, it's troubling. She's such a pretty lady, I want to see happiness :)

I think the B+W works well for this more melancholy feeling picture. I really like the oof foot at the bottom of the frame forcing the eye up to the subject.

Did you get any from this series with her looking to the side? She looks like wherever she is in thought, it's troubling. She's such a pretty lady, I want to see happiness :)

She can't remember where she left her phone LOL

@Tropicalmemories all kidding aside I think the conversion works extremely well here, plus you have so many elements of the composition working together. As mentioned above the foot/leg directing the eye inward, the texture/lines of the netting. All around it's a good shot. The only negative I can see is that the detail in her hair has merged to solid black.

I had several of her looking up, but we were chatting, and I didn't realise how speaking can make some odd expressions when frozen in a photo ..... another learning for me.

2020-09-26_12-23-12.jpg

She can't remember where she left her phone LOL

@Tropicalmemories all kidding aside I think the conversion works extremely well here, plus you have so many elements of the composition working together. As mentioned above the foot/leg directing the eye inward, the texture/lines of the netting. All around it's a good shot. The only negative I can see is that the detail in her hair has merged to solid black.

Thank you! I cloned her phone out of the image :)

I'll try lifting the highlights in her hair.

Thank you! I cloned her phone out

You know that thought went through my mind when I first saw this. LOL I'm not laughing at you but with you as I have the same issue with DW, but in her case it's the phone or tablet. I get her to put one down she grabs the other. :ambivalence:

My DW does have one weakness that can exploited....As long as I have this I have her attention :allteeth:
GUEST_da687da5-f7d5-4915-8979-684260aaa96f.jpeg

Thank you! I cloned her phone out

You know that thought went through my mind when I first saw this. LOL I'm not laughing at you but with you as I have the same issue with DW, but in her case it's the phone or tablet. I get her to put one down she grabs the other. :ambivalence:

My DW does have one weakness that can exploited....As long as I have this I have her attention :allteeth:
View attachment 198017

Very good Smoke! My wife has a similar venerability

Most reactions

Back