slow downloads

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an Olympus Camedia 3000C (soon to be replaced), It shoots 2048 x 1536 pixels. I use an HP1115 printer with a card reader and HP Imaging Software. I began to download the 40 frames I had on the card and it took six minutes to "initalize", and when it started the download, it took between one and one and a half minutes for each frame. Enough time to take a nice nap! I haven't got the right wire to download direct from the camera, so I don't know if it would make any difference in speed.

I hope to be getting a D-90 soon which has mega more pixels and probably comes with download software. Is the download speed in the Nikon faster, or will I need a card reader? I can't find any information on the Nikon website.

I'm curious about why my stoneage equipment is so slow; and what I have to look foreward to. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom Beard

could be the card, or the reader built into the printer, or both.

i'd suggest getting a good Sandisk SDHC card. Extreme II or III series. not only for their speed but they are much higher quality cards as well. the extreme III comes in 20mb/s and 30mb/s flavor. the 20mb/s is plenty fast enough.

as for the reader, i use a Rosewill RSD-CR101 which is a USB stick with a SD slot on the end. they don't make it anymore but it was replaced with the RSD-CR106. the one i have has worked flawlessly for about 6 years now. only $5 - $8 too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back