Slow shutter speed settings

vk1115

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help with slow shutter speed applications for rivers, lakes, cloude etc. My settings were

ISO (200,Auto)
F22
Shutter speed 3.2, 2.5 and 2 seconds
WB (Auto,Sunny)

All my pics with completely overexposed and some completely white. I was shooting under the bright sun with a T1i and 18-135mm IS. I know I am doing something wrong but do not know what it is. Is there anything I am missing out? Please help me out

Get "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Learn how to use your light meter (RTFM). Buy yourself some ND Filters.

An ancient rule of thumb is to set your aperture to f/16 and use the reciprocal of the ISO to set the shutter speed.

So at f/16 & ISO 200, your shutter should be ~1/200. Since f/22 is only one stop away from that, then you should be shooting at 1/100. Obviously, 2 seconds + is gonna be white as a sheet. My guess is you're not shooting in any auto exposure mode.

You will need to use ND filters and the lowest ISO setting you have. If you don’t have ND filters use a PL filter and watch your meter to get the slowest shutter speed possible, under bright sun it won’t be much.

An ancient rule of thumb is to set your aperture to f/16 and use the reciprocal of the ISO to set the shutter speed.

So at f/16 & ISO 200, your shutter should be ~1/200. Since f/22 is only one stop away from that, then you should be shooting at 1/100. Obviously, 2 seconds + is gonna be white as a sheet. My guess is you're not shooting in any auto exposure mode.

Lowest ISO I have is 200. So i guess if i shoot at f/22 then I must use 1/100 or slower in order to get the motion blur. Thanks I will try that out next time

I don't have any filters as I was never sure which is for what. ND seems to be the most applicable in my case. Thanks !!

No, you need some ND filters. You're not going to see a whole lot, if any, motion blur in water at 1/100 shutter speeds. You need to understand how the light meter works, first and foremost. Go pick up Understanding Exposure for $14 on Amazon.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

If you shoot in raw, you might be able to bring the image back from the right, just depends on how severe it is. Maybe wait for a cloudy day?. You will need a slow shutter speed a lot slower than 1/100.

Go back in the morning or evening then you won't need the filters

Do you know how to use the light meter in your camera? It will help you at least get close.

You should KNOW it is going to be over exposed BEFORE you shoot it. I have a feeling you have no idea how to use your camera light meter. You can lower the ISO to 100. I know because I have a T1i as well.

Most reactions

Back