SLRs with Shutter Dials? ... for a beginner...

mulletman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to the community and from the looks of it, this seems like a good place to be :)

I was very very curious if I could get some help with a purchase in the next few weeks...

I took a couple graphic arts/photography classes in high school, and loved every minute of them. I've wanted to pursue photography as a hobby, but have never had a decent SLR ( the one I have is nearly 25 years old and does not allow manual adjusting of shutter speed :-| ), so I was never really able to try things out.

What I'm really asking about... is possibly a good camera for a beginner, that I can adjust the shutter speed... aperture and all that jazz. The one I used in my classes had a dedicated dial for the shutter speed -- which I really loved, and would prefer any reccommendations featuring a shutter speed dial instead of an LCD to adjust those things. I will be taking an additional class this coming semester in college, so it will be nice to have a semi new camera-- nothing too heavy on the features, but just something functional.

Thanks a lot in advance and I hope to become an active member here!

Ken

I don't know what's out there right now.

The Pentax ZX-5 or ZX-5n is an auto-focus 35mm SLR from the late 90s with "retro styling"; it has a shutter dial, and on lens aperture ring, although it's a modern plastic and electronic camera.

Most cameras pre-1990 are going to have mechanical controls.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back