Small aperture and long shutter Vs. Large aperture and short shutter

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be the benefit of using a small aperture and a long shutter speed in broad daylight? Aside from the obvious answer, to make water look smooth. I saw a pic in a magazine that was of what appeard to be a rock formation. Lots of reds and oranges. Almost looked like something from the painted desert. The exif was f/45.9 for 1 second. Does this help the colors pop?

Said image... The Lough Road - Search Results Detail for Waves of Stone

Yeah, but I wouldn't think you would need to be that extreme.

With a 4x5 film camera, f/45 is "Not that small" of an aperture. f/45 is actually pretty useful for closer-range 4x5 landscape work, like the type of subject matter in the photo shown.

Have you ever looked up the "f/64 Group"?

the larger the sensor (or film) the smaller the depth of field, that is why F/2.8 on a P&S camera, a lot is in focus, and you go to F/2.8 on a full frame or medium/large format, the DoF is a lot smaller.

A larger F/number is required for his larger sensor (or film) size.

With a 4x5 film camera, f/45 is "Not that small" of an aperture. f/45 is actually pretty useful for closer-range 4x5 landscape work, like the type of subject matter in the photo shown.

Have you ever looked up the "f/64 Group"?

the larger the sensor (or film) the smaller the depth of field, that is why F/2.8 on a P&S camera, a lot is in focus, and you go to F/2.8 on a full frame or medium/large format, the DoF is a lot smaller.

A larger F/number is required for his larger sensor (or film) size.

Thanks you guys, That made perfect sense. :thumbup: I'll check out the f/64 group.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back