Small tiny product pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by orthorich, Feb 27, 2012.

1. orthorich

orthorich TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The company that I work for deals with tiny products we are going to be making a catalog for all our products and I need to find a good way to get close up shots of the products. We are open to buy a new camera as well. Current issue I am having is that everything is very blurry when I try to take a picture that close. The size of the products are no bigger then the point of a pencil or the tip of a pen.

Current set up:

We have a lightbox
    Camera: Kodak easy share p880
    lens: opteka 55mm

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ankit

Ankit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Macro lens

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I do not know how tiny your products are.

Here is a shot from a Canon G11 camera in macro mode. Is that good enough as far as tiny products goes.
    Photo just taken with hotshoe flash bounced off the ceiling (with little forwarding light).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. WesternGuy

WesternGuy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    New DSLR, e.g. Canon T3i or equivalent and a macro lens. You will definitely need a macro lens for closeups. The reason everything is blurry when you take a picture that close is that it is out of focus with your current equipment - your lens will not focus as close as you want it to. If everything is as small as you say it is - The size of the products are no bigger then the point of a pencil or the tip of a pen. - then you may need a specialized macro lens like the Canon MP-E 65mm - to get an image that you can reproduce effectively. I would want to try out that lens and the 100mm Macro f2.8 as well. Not sure I can offer you any more suggestions. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Sorry, for some reasons I miss this part.

You really need a macro setup. Just an entry level DSLR with a macro lens. The light box is fine as long as your camera is on a tripod so that you do not need to worry about shooting with longer shutter speed when light is not bright enough.

6. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

You are going to need a fairly specialized Macro lens then, one that can produce a 5:1 image, like Canon's $1000, manual focus only - Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

And an appropriate DSLR camera body. An entry level Canon camera body that can spot meter should be sufficient. Like a $500 - Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

Another issue is going to be lighting, so if you're not familiar with lighting for product photography I highly recommend the product photography fundamentals lighting bible - Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

If you have some technical training it shouldn't take you more than 6 to 12 months to learn how to consistantly produce professional grade photos of those specific products. It takes a professional product photographer 2 to 3 years to learn how to shoot a wide range of product types.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012