Smartphone vs sony rx100

khernik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently take photos using my xperia Z2 smartphone, but I'm doing a lot of travelling this year and I've been thinking about buying something maybe a bit more professional. I was thinking about sony rx100 (Sony RX100 Advanced Camera with 1.0 inch Sensor).

I don't know anything about photography, and I'll probably be doing all the photos on auto, so my question is - is it worth spending 500$? Maybe it's better to buy a newer smartphone, like samsung S7? Do you have any thoughts on that?

the sony RX100 is an excellent camera. It all depends what you photograph and what you do with your pictures.
If the only thing you do is show the pictures on your phone to others, then keep the phone! If your plan is to really share it out there, maybe make album, print some pictures, I would definitely buy the camera.
Also the camera can zoom. A phone cannot (it can, but the zoom is digital, its actually cropping the image and you will always get worse results.)

If you are happy with the quality of your phone and its pictures, stick with it. If you are not and you want more, get the camera.
1 big problem phone photographers make, they do not back up there pictures. then one day they lose the phone and lose everything.

And even tough a picture might look mighty good and sharp on a phone, doesn't mean its a good picture. The pixel density is so high on those high end phones, everything looks nice.
You cannot expect a 500$ camera to be the same as a 500$ phone. The camera will be better. In the end it all depends like I said above, what do you photograph, what are you missing and what do you want to do with them.

If your doing a lot of travelling and want a camera that can handle any environment check out the Olympus TG-4. Fantastic and extremely rugged and waterproof to 50ft.

Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-4 Digital Camera (Black) V104160BU000

I have this camera and I'm really happy with it underwater! Al tough I do have to say that the camera quality is not wow. But still better then a phone camera. It is indeed a very good option against the elements of nature! I highly recommend.

For 500$ I would get the Nikon D3300 which has a bigger sensor and will give you an even better image quality then the Sony RX100

if you dont want to spend $500, but still want a nice point and shoot, look at a fuji x-f1.
2/3 size sensor (smaller than the sony 1") but larger than most point and shoot cameras.
i paid $150 for mine and love it.

Your Sony Z phone has the same size sensor as most basic 'point and shoot' cameras, and it has a sensor larger than most other phones, so the Samsung will be a backwards step for low light photography.

The 1 inch sensor in the RX100 will be a big improvement, especially in lower light, where you'll get less 'noise' in your image. It's also a great travel camera and has a handy viewfinder which is great for use in bright sunlight, when a screen will be no use.

You could also look at the Lumix G series interchangeable lens cameras, some are almost as compact as the RX100 and their sensors are a bit bigger.

Most reactions

Back