smugmug or something else ...

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am tired of printing & mail pictures to out of town family & friends. Thinking of subscribing to smugmug or somewhere else & have them choose & order the pictures thru' smugmug.
I think my pictures can only be downloaded as JPEG format if I go with smugmug. Is the print quality decent? Is the printing cost reasonable compare to other website?
Always, thank you much.

the print quality of smugmug is AMAZING, I LOVE smug mug.. been using it for a little over year.. if you get a pro account, you set the print cost.. but their base price is i think 7 cents for a 4x6..

if you sign up for smugmug use this coupon code.. j0bjvfL7o2S4k it will save you a few bucks.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan to sell my picture thru' this site. I just want to have the option to let family/friends to print their portrait pictures I took for them online & not having to pay too much. That will save me so much time guessing which one they like better. The price seems reasonable but never seen the print quality before.

I looked at the uploaded picture quality, very good compare to other free site. I am sold on that one. My only complaint is the loading speed seems slower (my picture size is approx. 10M) during viewing & slideshow. Also std subscriber do not have any option to customize their homepage.

If I do decide to use it, I will definitely use the your 'code' since you are the first to reply.

Thank you much.

I started my SmugMug account only recently. I did several test prints at 4x6, 5x57 & 11x14 on different papers, even metallic. I was impressed with the quality. There was a problem with the metallic (creased) and they shipped out another one and I received the reprint within 48 hours.

I had a code YaHoO (or yAhOo) and received 50% off a pro account. Although I haven't scratched the surface of what's available, so far I'm pleased.

Also, you set prices at base + one penny. This way you can track sales.

Can you setup smugmug or any other site so a customer can by digital rights and download the pic?
Sorry, that was kind of a thread jack :meh:

Can you setup smugmug or any other site so a customer can by digital rights and download the pic?

Yes, you can set prices for your visitors to buy the digital file which can be downloaded automatically. help - Pros: How to sell your digital images

You can set what resolution you want to sell and you can choose to sell Personal Use License or a Commercial Use License.

Markham

How does SmugMug compare to Snapfish?

SmugMug is completely different than Snapfish. Snapfish is free and so their revenues depend (requirement) on you purchasing photos. SmugMug isn't.

SmugMug is a subscription based storage site that doesn't compress your high-res photos and doesn't care if you ever purchase photos or not.

Why not free? Here is a good write up that explains more: Why pay when some sites are free?

Markham

Yes, you can set prices for your visitors to buy the digital file which can be downloaded automatically. help - Pros: How to sell your digital images

You can set what resolution you want to sell and you can choose to sell Personal Use License or a Commercial Use License.

Markham

Oh wow. Thanks. LOL, I must be retarded at searching. I've been searching all morning for that info.

I recently started with Smug Mug ( for the same reasons, family and friends) and used the yahoo code, receiving 50% of the pro rates. Site seems pretty simple and easy to sort through. Good to know about the printing quality.

how would the print quality of smugmug compare with what my family has been using for a while - CostCo or Walmart. The cost is more than double of costco for a 4x6, but if its better, why not. Thoughts?

SmugMug is a Pro Lab and I do believe they perform quality control before send out the shipment. However, some Costco site use the same printer (model number), so you'll need to check your local store.

If your family is local, then use local. I think the OP didn't want the hassel of doing it himself or family and friends are dispersed or didn't want to second guess which prints were of interest. A service like SmugMug is invaluable under those circumstances.

I think the base shipping charge is $4.95, so fill yer boots when ordering 'cause a couple of 20¢ prints might not be worth it for you.

I've mostly been a fan of SmugMug, and their printing services are probably the best out there right now. But their web services can suck. They are always experiencing network problems, it's a weekly occurrence it seems. Hell, I just had the warning over my account a few moments saying "we're experiencing network problems". It's often slow loading images as of late as well.

If it continues (it's been going on for a couple of months now) I may switch to another provider... which sucks because of all the hoops I had to jump through to get my domain transferred there. :(

I've mostly been a fan of SmugMug, and their printing services are probably the best out there right now. But their web services can suck. They are always experiencing network problems, it's a weekly occurrence it seems. Hell, I just had the warning over my account a few moments saying "we're experiencing network problems". It's often slow loading images as of late as well.

If it continues (it's been going on for a couple of months now) I may switch to another provider... which sucks because of all the hoops I had to jump through to get my domain transferred there. :(

I've also experienced a lot of slowing on Smugmug's site lately. Many times images take forever to load. In fact, I just checked now and images are loading very slow.

The other night I added a couple of images and the "Processing image" icon was there on both for nearly an hour, even after refreshing occasionally. I gave up and went to bed! Usually it only takes a few seconds.

I've also noticed some artifacts on my images recently, which never used to be there. I thought Smugmug didn't compress images? I don't post full-size images, only ones that I've re-sized to 600 pixels on the longest side. I would think that these wouldn't be manipulated in any way as they are pretty small.

I havent had this issue at all.. infact, just the other night i uploaded around 500 hi res images and it only took around 30 mins..

Most reactions

Back