smugmug or something else ...

Yea I actually started another thread inquiring about slowness. I've had people tell me to upload my pics somewhere else or they aren't reviewing them :(

It has been taking 30-40 seconds to load a 200k file.

Kind of a pain in the ass.

now I'm intrigued.. going to have to try another photo session upload..

EDIT: would you look at that.. slow as cold molasses.. this isn't good.. I have a wedding to load in the next week.. 800 images... and a client whose mother has said "i will pretty much buy all the pictures you've taken"

odd thing is, the status update on the forum says that they are back up and running.. which clearly they aren't

Last edited:
Has been really slow for me since yesterday. It takes many sec to load a single pictures.
Back to my original question, what other site is as convenient smugmug but 'faster'?

None.

I honestly don't think any site compares to SmugMug for ease of use/features. I'm hoping this slow down is temporary because up until the last couple weeks I can't really think of any other time there were major issues.

it seems to be back up and working full tilt

I havent had much problem over the years with them. I have been with them since they started. While yes they will have the occassional glitches, which happens when you expand, they have been reliable.

I've also experienced a lot of slowing on Smugmug's site lately. Many times images take forever to load. In fact, I just checked now and images are loading very slow.

The other night I added a couple of images and the "Processing image" icon was there on both for nearly an hour, even after refreshing occasionally. I gave up and went to bed! Usually it only takes a few seconds.

Yes, yesterday and today we had some uploading issues. Today was the busiest day on SmugMug ever in our history. Very sorry for the slowness and we are working on it.

I've also noticed some artifacts on my images recently, which never used to be there. I thought Smugmug didn't compress images? I don't post full-size images, only ones that I've re-sized to 600 pixels on the longest side. I would think that these wouldn't be manipulated in any way as they are pretty small.

We don't compress your images at all. Can you please post a link to your site and I will track it down for you. We definitely take any issue like this seriously.

Markham

it seems to be back up and working full tilt
That seems to change by the hour. Over the last couple of months I've noticed problems with their service several times a week. It's getting worse, not better. :( And I love my SmugMug account... I hate to think I'll have to go elsewhere. But I've been patient for the last couple of months... I've not pitched a hissy fit or anything over it. :D

Markham,

Thanks for posting. Here's my URL: inTempus Photography- powered by SmugMug

Can you take a look and see what's going on? I notice a lot of sluggishness and downtime with my account as of late. I find that images are slow to load, often times all of the thumbnails won't load on a page. This is from multiple networks. I have the fastest bandwidth offered by Comcast at home and our company network is rediculously fast (blows mine away in speed tests) yet my account is always sluggish it seems.

Here's a speed test I just ran on my home network:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

intempus... i just tried your smugmug.. everything seems to load pretty darn quickly for me... and i dont have as fast a connection as you do...

and your files are there the second I click them.. no wait time..

It comes and goes. Try again tomorrow in the afternoon.

Off topic, but my wireless connection really blows.

560270678.png

Off topic, but my wireless connection really blows.

560270678.png

that sucks...

mine is pretty terrible compared to most.. but, its pretty fast.. I never have to wait for things to happen..

Some of you guys have some pretty bad network connections. :)

Most reactions

Back