Snooting with speedlight

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you all recommend for a DIY speedlight snoot? I know people use cereal boxes but what else? I want to have a nice soft gradual round spot light. What so you suggest I use, and the position of the light? I'm doing a pinup shoot and I think a snooted light will look great :)

1) 7-11 plastic (not foam) coffee cup.
2) cardboard cylinder w/ foil inside.

1st one I use off-camera. 2nd one I use one camera for wide angles - adds a nice vignette, foil adds about a stop of light :) and its a GREAT conversation piece :lmao:

1) 7-11 plastic (not foam) coffee cup. 2) cardboard cylinder w/ foil inside.1st one I use off-camera. 2nd one I use one camera for wide angles - adds a nice vignette, foil adds about a stop of light :) and its a GREAT conversation piece :lmao:
Is the coffee cup black?

It is black/reflective which is kinda cool in a sense - black eats up the peripheral light yet some of it bounces off. Meanwhile the center comes out as a spot light.

It is black/reflective which is kinda cool in a sense - black eats up the peripheral light yet some of it bounces off. Meanwhile the center comes out as a spot light.
Cool! I'll try that too. Hopefully my 7-11 will have it.

Easiest DIY I did lol.

CollapsiblePP.jpg

Cut the bottom off. It's perfect, it stretches over the flash, holds itself on and provides a good circle light. You could go just plain colored or have a lil personal flair on it. I have a Saints Super Bowl one on right now, gotta represent haha.

I think it was on DIYPhotography.com someone said about using the covers you can buy for the 24''x48'' floresant light fixtures as a honeycomb for a snoot...get them at lowes or homedepot

Most reactions

Back