Snow on 3d Avenue, NYC

Great shot =]

I love the slightly blurred snowflakes in the foreground. You had a good shutter speed to render them just the right way.

You are crafty. This ain't your first rodeo.

This is what I saw in my mind's eye as I looked at the window.

BUT........... the snow had dwindled to almost nothing and the remaining flakes were tiny.
The tree with all the snow - and in fact the rest of the street - were dull and dark and the sky was bright and brassy.

So I adjusted all the brightness and contrast of different areas, darkened the sky, brightened the area of the 'important' tree, merged to all to one layer, in Color Efex warmed it just a tiny, tiny bit to remove the dead black ugly look. Then added the snow to taste (several steps), motion blurred the snow,
duped the snow layer, moved the second layer a bit and blurred those two a bit, then added grain to taste.

So there it is, almost essentially SOOC.

(My window screen is visible in the sky areas. I left that there to convince people of the veracity of the photo.)

Last edited:
Well...I think images like this, though not strikingly interesting, convey a more serious sense of mood or tone, which imo is the real value in this image.

The screen! I almost missed it. Yes, definitely a fitting touch to a photo like this. Yes I could blab about this one for sure.

Looks historic, nice conversation and atmospheric.

......................... This ain't your first rodeo.

I've never heard that before. Cool phrase, I shall retain and use that;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back