Snowy night

He looks seriously po’d in that last shot! Nice set.

Super shots. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome shots!

Soooo..... how the heck did you do it? What did you light it with and how did you focus?

Thanks.

Ok here's my setup flash with a MagBeam Wildlife Kit and a flashlight to get focus.
Very nice images! Last one is my favorite. I already have the Magmod system for using their flash dome. It works really well and I like their system. It might be nice to add this to the bunch. How far away were you for these images?

I always worry about harming the owls night vision with a flash and then seeing them fly face first into a branch... I have no scientific basis for this concern other than knowing what happens to me when a flash goes off at night. I can never find any snowy owls around me but we have several great horned owls right nearby. Did your research shed any light on that? And pun fully intended, btw...

Awesome shots!

Soooo..... how the heck did you do it? What did you light it with and how did you focus?

Thanks.

Ok here's my setup flash with a MagBeam Wildlife Kit and a flashlight to get focus.
Very nice images! Last one is my favorite. I already have the Magmod system for using their flash dome. It works really well and I like their system. It might be nice to add this to the bunch. How far away were you for these images?

I always worry about harming the owls night vision with a flash and then seeing them fly face first into a branch... I have no scientific basis for this concern other than knowing what happens to me when a flash goes off at night. I can never find any snowy owls around me but we have several great horned owls right nearby. Did your research shed any light on that? And pun fully intended, btw...

Thank you. I was somewhere around 40ft from where it was. I did some research and couldn’t find a diffinative answer. I checked with Audubon, National Geographic and many owl websites. Some say it could affect them and other say no issues with flash.None of them have scientific proof that it is harmful. Most of the Snowy owls I encounter are trapped and relocated away from Logan Airport in Boston. So I would say they see plenty of strobes out on the runways. From what I observed the owl had no reaction to the flash. While I was with it for 1/2 hours it was looking around just like I’ve observed during the day. When I moved on it was still sitting on the post preening

Your owl photos are much better examples of the flash kit than the photos on their website...imo... just saying.

Most reactions

Back