so, h5n1, anyone else worried?

graigdavis said:
Dont waste your time worrying about something you cant controll. Cant spend your life just waiting for everything to end. Live your life the best you can!
what he said.

Daniel said:
Oh btw, what's h5n1?

it's a new gadget about to hit the market, put out by a partnership between microsoft, IBM, and Betty Crocker.

sorta like a 3d ipod that hijacks your brainwaves.

supposedly makes you super gullible and prone to asking silly questions if you listen/watch/taste it too often.

Daniel said:
I doubt it. Technology will be too great then.

To measure the destruction, not to fix it. Technology will distract you from the real world so you won't care anyway. If it happens in my lifetime, I'll never know because I was too fixated with megapixels, bandwidth, 2000 high definition channels of nothing to watch, 12,000 quazi gig Mp3 players (or Mp20,000 or whatever we get too), cell phones that alert you when a family member's blood pressure is rising too high, pills that make ugly people look pretty, Brittney Spears' child put on death row for the attempted murder of Angelina Jolie, 'Think-a-Lite" brought to you by the makers of "The Clapper", how much it cost Bill Gates to become the president of the US, Tommy Lee is found innocent......again, Wal-Mart declares bankruptcy, crude oil drops to an all time low in 20 years to $714 a barrel, scientists find a human in Los Angeles that doesn't have a respiratory problem, lightbulbs with lifespans greater than the average human, dog food that doesn't make your dog fart, McDonalds tops the list of the healthiest place to eat, why grocery stores are below McDonalds on that list............. you know, everyday kinda stuff that distracts you from the realities of how close the earth is to taking care of the 'surface nuisance' known as "humanity"

Have a nice day :D

malachite said:
To measure the destruction, not to fix it. Technology will distract you from the real world so you won't care anyway. If it happens in my lifetime, I'll never know because I was too fixated with megapixels, bandwidth, 2000 high definition channels of nothing to watch, 12,000 quazi gig Mp3 players (or Mp20,000 or whatever we get too), cell phones that alert you when a family member's blood pressure is rising too high, pills that make ugly people look pretty, Brittney Spears' child put on death row for the attempted murder of Angelina Jolie, 'Think-a-Lite" brought to you by the makers of "The Clapper", how much it cost Bill Gates to become the president of the US, Tommy Lee is found innocent......again, Wal-Mart declares bankruptcy, crude oil drops to an all time low in 20 years to $714 a barrel, scientists find a human in Los Angeles that doesn't have a respiratory problem, lightbulbs with lifespans greater than the average human, dog food that doesn't make your dog fart, McDonalds tops the list of the healthiest place to eat, why grocery stores are below McDonalds on that list............. you know, everyday kinda stuff that distracts you from the realities of how close the earth is to taking care of the 'surface nuisance' known as "humanity"

Have a nice day :D

That's the Malachite we all know and love.

Oh btw, what's h5n1?

It's the bird flu isn't it? I'm pretty sure it is.

Seriously though, when it mutates to be able to spread between humans, it will be a catastrophe. :-(

Meysha said:
It's the bird flu isn't it? I'm pretty sure it is.

Seriously though, when it mutates to be able to spread between humans, it will be a catastrophe. :-(

We'd be foolish to believe that eventually there won't be some bug that figures out how to tap into this food source. Humans have become a large overgrowth in resources. We've generated such a huge biomass of people that's just waiting to be tapped into. It's only a matter of time before some microorganism figures out how to exploit us.

We're like a big algae bloom. :mrgreen:

mountainlander said:
It's funny, if you go back 50 years and read some of the scientific journals, scientists were worried about global cooling! This planet breathes like every other living thing. I'm not too worried about global warming.
And like other living things it can get sick and it gets a temperature.
I remember concerns about global warming in the late 60's. We were pegged as nuts. Some of the nuts predicted ozone depletion and a hole forming. Every one laughed, but guess what?
Global warming is serious. Every serious scientist has signed the document sent to all heads of State telling them that it is a real problem and threat.
Average temp only has to rise another degree or two and we will really start to feel it.
The ice caps are already starting to melt and UV levels have increased.
And have you not noticed the rather more extreme weather of late? All predicted.
It's like jumping onto the road in front of a speeding lorry. You can say to yourself 'it's OK. He'll stop'. But there's a pretty good chance he won't.
Putting you head in the sand and telling yourself it's not a problem may make you feel better but it doesn't help you if the worst should happen.
I'd sooner find out that we took steps to deal with it that we didn't need to rather than do nothing and find out too late that we're f*cked.

Hertz van Rental said:
And like other living things it can get sick and it gets a temperature.
I remember concerns about global warming in the late 60's. We were pegged as nuts. Some of the nuts predicted ozone depletion and a hole forming. Every one laughed, but guess what?
Global warming is serious. Every serious scientist has signed the document sent to all heads of State telling them that it is a real problem and threat.
Average temp only has to rise another degree or two and we will really start to feel it.
The ice caps are already starting to melt and UV levels have increased.
And have you not noticed the rather more extreme weather of late? All predicted.
It's like jumping onto the road in front of a speeding lorry. You can say to yourself 'it's OK. He'll stop'. But there's a pretty good chance he won't.
Putting you head in the sand and telling yourself it's not a problem may make you feel better but it doesn't help you if the worst should happen.
I'd sooner find out that we took steps to deal with it that we didn't need to rather than do nothing and find out too late that we're f*cked.

Except now the research exposing the "hole in the ozone layer" and it's severity has been shown to be faulty and deficient. The group that did the study made a mathematical error that all but invalidates the research.

mountainlander said:
Except now the research exposing the "hole in the ozone layer" and it's severity has been shown to be faulty and deficient. The group that did the study made a mathematical error that all but invalidates the research.

yeah, try living near ozone hole buddy, you'll get a different picture. Being a fair skin'd lad, I dare not venture outside without a long sleeved shirt. Having lived in the US and NZ/OZ, I would definately say there is something to the ozone hole. at least my skin says so!

Personally, i don't buy the whole bird flu stuff, the circustances which brought on 1918 influenza where completely different (mass exodus of sick wwI soldiers from the trenches to the all corners of the earth).

i don't think of it the end of times (not religious), but its certainly is an interesting time - how is humanity going to evolve at this present state in time?

Osmer_Toby said:
it's a new gadget about to hit the market, put out by a partnership between microsoft, IBM, and Betty Crocker.

sorta like a 3d ipod that hijacks your brainwaves.

supposedly makes you super gullible and prone to asking silly questions if you listen/watch/taste it too often.

:lmao: Yeh I'm worried about that. does it even exist?

For me personally it goes back to the philosophy of "live every day as if it was your last". Make sure you're surrounded by people that love you and be a good person. Sure there are disasters waiting to happen, but if I spent my time worrying about "what if" I think I would lose sight of "what is". Doesn't mean you shut out the world, but just try to enjoy what you have now.

mountainlander said:
Shown to be faulty? By whom?
It appears that the monitoring sattelites, which can 'see' the hole are unaware that what they are monitoring doesn't exist.
NASA seems pretty sure it exists as well. And the UN too, not to mention a lot of Governments including the US.
We'd better tell them that they are wasting a lot of money studying a figment of our collective imaginations.

http://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/
http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/ozone/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back