so, h5n1, anyone else worried?

Hertz van Rental said:
Global warming is serious. Every serious scientist has signed the document sent to all heads of State telling them that it is a real problem and threat.
How can ths issue be addressed?

Hertz van Rental said:
Shown to be faulty? By whom?
It appears that the monitoring sattelites, which can 'see' the hole are unaware that what they are monitoring doesn't exist.
NASA seems pretty sure it exists as well. And the UN too, not to mention a lot of Governments including the US.
We'd better tell them that they are wasting a lot of money studying a figment of our collective imaginations.

http://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/
http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/ozone/

I'll have to dig up the paper, give me a bit, I'll get back to you.

Essentially it's like this. First, "hole" is a somewhat misleading term. It's more of a thinning of the layer. Secondly, it's a natural phenomenon that is a function of the atmospheric conditions, and the latitude of Antartica. CFCs do indeed affect the ozone layer, this is undeniable, but the effect is only slight compared to other natural sources of ozone eating molecules. The original and subsequent studies have used years of unusally high ozone levels as a baseline, rather than a multi year average, which cause the results to be skewed. And the time of year when the ozone "hole" is present coincides with the time of year that Antartica is mostly in the dark because of the way the earth tilts.

core_17 said:
I wasn't worried, til I started noticing that it seems like the whole world is in a huge panic.
We're not really, it's only temporary. With the hurricanes as of late we've only been reminded. Give it about 6 months and it'll all be a memory as we all shuffle through our days until the next 'something' happens. And then once again everyone will be "why did this happen? I thought someone fixed that......."

Hertz van Rental said:
And have you not noticed the rather more extreme weather of late? All predicted.

I predict that in 5 years we'll have more solar activity affecting communications, power supplies and atmospheric phenomenon!

It's a cycle that is repeated, and so is global warming!

But it's also very true that we shouldn't be polluting everything like we do and efforts should be kept up to reduce this problem! (even if that does mean attributing it to Ozone holes and global warming!:lol: )

Anyway, the sun only has 4 billion years or so left before it engulfs the Earth so what are we all worried about! I'd like to see a solution to that problem!:lol:

PlasticSpanner said:
Anyway, the sun only has 4 billion years or so left before it engulfs the Earth so what are we all worried about! I'd like to see a solution to that problem!:lol:

Oh and thats if we're still here and an asteroid hasn't already hit us!:confused: :D

So much to worry about and I still can't find my car keys! :lol:

PlasticSpanner said:
I predict that in 5 years we'll have more solar activity affecting communications, power supplies and atmospheric phenomenon!

But it's also very true that we shouldn't be polluting everything like we do and efforts should be kept up to reduce this problem! (even if that does mean attributing it to Ozone holes and global warming!:lol: )

AGENT SMITH: "do you hear that Mr. Anderson????That is the sound of inevitability..."

Hertz van Rental said:
Shown to be faulty? By whom?
It appears that the monitoring sattelites, which can 'see' the hole are unaware that what they are monitoring doesn't exist.
NASA seems pretty sure it exists as well. And the UN too, not to mention a lot of Governments including the US.
We'd better tell them that they are wasting a lot of money studying a figment of our collective imaginations.

http://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/
http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/ozone/

Ever read the skeptical environmentalist?

I'd say people are confusing with the world with the United States. I think you guys are in more of a panic than the rest of the world because you were hit twice in quick succesion admittedly the second was not as bad as the first. I haven't really experienced any heightened awareness of environmental improvement or whatever you want to call it here in England. As has been said I'd say it will die down a fair bit over a few months in America too.

Yes but teh hole in the atmosphere is caused by CFCs which is a new problem that doesn't occur naturally in nature. CFCs react with the ozone in the atmosphere (03) but don't react in net to form a molecule with the oxygen:

Cl + O3 ==> ClO + O2

ClO + O ==> Cl + O2

------------------

net result: O3 + O ===> 2O2

Chlorine (Cl) is initially removed by reaction with ozone to form chlorine monoxide (ClO) in the first equation, but it is regenerated through reaction of ClO with an oxygen atom (O) in the second equation. The net result of the two reactions is the depletion of ozone and atomic oxygen.

(CIESIN Thematic Guides)

So it carries on and on. So to my knowledge the hole is only going to get bigger unless we find a solution.

danalec99 said:
How can ths issue be addressed?
I don't do ironing :lol:
Actually if everyone in the UK stopped ironing their clothes we would need three fewer power stations and we would be on target with CO2 emission cut-back. ;)

I've been beaming signals into outer space for the last decade hoping to contact alien lifeforms. When they come and get me...you guys are gonna be left to shrivel up like a five month old pickle slice on a hot carnival parkbench. WOOT! suckas!!

mygrain said:
I've been beaming signals into outer space for the last decade hoping to contact alien lifeforms. When they come and get me...you guys are gonna be left to shrivel up like a five month old pickle slice on a hot carnival parkbench. WOOT! suckas!!

how did i know that paragraph was coming? :lmao:

:D
cuz if there's a hell below...we're all gonna go! (stolen form the great Curtis Mayfield).

Most reactions

Back