So i accidentally hit a motorcyclist today.

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I accidentally bumped into a motocyclist today, it was very minor, I was going about 2mph, my clutch was out and i was in neutral at a light and rolled into him. no damage on my car at all, but I chipped a little bit of paint on the bumper area of his honda and the hitch is a little loose.
We both agreed that it's too minor for insurance, and i told him that i will gladly pay it for him, but out of curiosity, how much would something like chipped paint with a little bit of a gouge (from my license plate screws) cost more or less? I had to get the bumper of my old car (2001 focus) replaced about 2 years ago and it cost about $300 to be put on and repainted, so i'm guessing this shouldn't cost more then $250. I'm not sure. Anyone here do auto body and paint?
The hitch is just matter of tightening bolts.

Thanks!

It shouldn't be that bad, but as soon as you plug motorcycle (or boat) into the equation, prices tend to go up. Cost of removal, sanding, filling, repainting, sanding, clear-coating, wet sanding, reinstalling....you are probably looking at $300-$400 at a bike shop.

I dont' do body and paint but i sell motorcycle parts. was it a cruiser or a sport bike? was it plastic or metal part? if it's a rear fender and he decides to have a field day and asks for replacement cost, the rear fender assembly can easy run into 500-600 area. That said, any body shop should be able to fill and paint for fraction of this cost.

300/400 might be a little low
Troy

A pro quality custom paint job can run into many thousands. However, if the bike just has the factory paint job you are probably looking at $300-400 plus labor to remove and replace the fender.

Ouch. Looks like you hit one of them rocket ships. Only a rocket scientist will be able to assess the damage. Wait for it to come out of rocket ship surgery and be glad you didn't kill the astronaut.

Honda Goldwing - I am not sure then because you probably hit one of the storage compartments, not the fender...wait for estimate

I in no way mean to sound harsh here, but I am wondering...People on the photo forums always ask about copyright laws and photo trespass laws from other photographers. The best advice is to get those answers from a lawyer that handles cases like that. Photographers are just that photographers. Lawyers are just that, people that know and deal with the ins and outs of the law.

On the same note, I doubt the same photographers would be able to quote a repair estimate for body work or paint. It would be nice to think it would only cost 300-400, but don't be surprised if it runs much higher than that to do it right. I would suggest calling or stopping at your local Honda dealer and ask what a new fender would cost in that color and get their hourly rate for install. You would then know how much the maximum would be.
Just my 2¢

I see where you're coming from paul, but alot of people have hobbies besides photography, and it was worth a shot.

nonetheless, the guy called this morning and he's going to buff it out himself and said don't sweat it, I'M OFF THE HOOK!!!!! PHEW!

I see where you're coming from paul, but alot of people have hobbies besides photography, and it was worth a shot.

nonetheless, the guy called this morning and he's going to buff it out himself and said don't sweat it, I'M OFF THE HOOK!!!!! PHEW!

Sw1tchFX,
That's awesome that he is going to do it himself, looks like you lucked out. Just be more careful in the future and most of all I'm happy no one got hurt. Oh and BTW, you didn't get a pic of the damage or the owner's reaction? :blushing: :mrgreen: :lol:

If MAACO exists in the US, then check them out for a general price estimate.
They tend to be cheaper than anywhere else in Canada.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back