So I started shooting in AV mode... (+1 for C&C)

Raizels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's a learning process, I have to say. At first my pictures were all blurry as hell.
And now, even though they're not blurry anymore, they're not exactlly sharp, either. Maybe it's a MF/AF issue.
Anyway, here's one from my latest batch:

IMG_0693-4.jpg

To my eyes the blurriness we see here (mostly in the near eye) looks like motion blur from the little one moving her head. Looks like you had a fairly long shutter speed (do you have any means to look it up?).

I have a silly question, too: when you set your camera to AV mode, do you then preselect the aperture and the camera chooses the shutter speed? I think this is how it works (I only use M), and therefore, given the light situation and all, your shutter speed might well have come out a lot longer than you were prepared for!?

LaFoto, yes when using av mode , you pick the fstop and the shutter speed just comes along for the ride.

using tv, or shutter speed priority the reverse is true. pick the shutter speed and the fstop is applied by the microchip

not so bad for a first attempt. You may need to boost your iso to get an fstop that will match a shutter speed to be sure there is no camera movement or baby movement. It would help to see the metadata so we could make some suggestion on which value needs to be changed.

Focal Length: 41mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 400

Looks to me like "shutter press" motion blur coupled with a slowish shutter speed. The whole image has a shift in it.

Assuming youre prefocussing and not slamming the shutter release you might find you naturally nudge the camera to the left slighty on final stage shutter release perhaps?

I dont know what gear you have, but turn on any IS you have (provided its not tripod mounted) and experiment to find your minimum shutter speed for a given focal length.

So the next time you meter a shot, you will have a fair idea if you will be able to pull it off (sharp shots) for that given shutter speed, if in doubt raise the shutter speed.

Check your first couple of shots using live view at 10x and closely examine key areas for focus and overall sharpness, adapt, check and carry on.

To my eyes the blurriness we see here (mostly in the near eye) looks like motion blur from the little one moving her head. Looks like you had a fairly long shutter speed (do you have any means to look it up?).

I have a silly question, too: when you set your camera to AV mode, do you then preselect the aperture and the camera chooses the shutter speed? I think this is how it works (I only use M), and therefore, given the light situation and all, your shutter speed might well have come out a lot longer than you were prepared for!?

Well, I have no idea if I can look it up, and now I'm curious! She was, obviously, looking around and moving a lot, but when I used the flash to try and freeze her, It was terribly overexposed.

not so bad for a first attempt. You may need to boost your iso to get an fstop that will match a shutter speed to be sure there is no camera movement or baby movement. It would help to see the metadata so we could make some suggestion on which value needs to be changed.

Thanks :) About the ISO, I've been told here not to go over 400 if possible because it lessens the quality of the image.
How do I post the metadata?

Assuming youre prefocussing and not slamming the shutter release you might find you naturally nudge the camera to the left slighty on final stage shutter release perhaps?

Check your first couple of shots using live view at 10x and closely examine key areas for focus and overall sharpness, adapt, check and carry on.

I have a 450D. What is an IS? (sorry for the ignorance).
I might be shifting, dunno. I'll try to pay attention.
Isn't it hard to use a tripod with a baby?
And another ignorance, what is live view?

Thanks for all the replies :)

IS stands for "image stablisation" (and I have no lens whatsoever which has got that, as I can't afford that kind of lenses ... unfortunately :( ).

And live view isn't offered by the 450D, as far as I know, it means you get the picture that you (and I) only get to see in the viewfinder also displayed to the little screen on the back (as is the case with most compact cameras but rarely so with DSLRs, though the newest ones have got this feature, from what I hear).

(I said "and I" because my 350D doesn't give me live view, either).

IS=Image stabilisation
Yes it would be tricky to use a tripod with a baby, that was aimed at turning off IS when using a tripod, not for this situation.
Live view, for lack of my misdirected wording, the LCD screen on the back of your camera where you can review the shot you just took.

Rob, reviewing it AFTER it was taken isn't "live" any more, is it?
I mean, my camera has the "after the shot was taken display", too, of course, but "live view" is seeing the picture on the back screen WHEN you take it, that's how I've always understood the term!?!?!

your correct. live view is an option for viewing while focusing.

you can right click on your image and go to properites and you will find the metadata, or you can download opanda efix which is terrific, but only for PC.

i tried to find the metadata on your image but nothing appeared so i just thought you had removed it, but Rob found it so perhaps it has to do with my computer.

1/60 of a second is slow for a moving baby and yes raising your iso with that camera can create issues with noise.

You are off to a good start, just take lots of photos have fun and ask questions when in doubt

Well, the slow shutter speed was selected by the camera, so I obviously did something wrong. Is 6.3 too high? too low? Or just switch to TV and a faster shutter speed?

you might try an av of 4 which will give you a higher shutter speed.

and yes you could use shutter speed priority and the camera will pick the fstop.

it is really up to you.

I think the lowest I can go is 5.6.

at what focal length , if you use a short focal length you should be able to get to f4.
if not then think raising iso.

i tell my students all the time. you can have anything you want , you just can't have everything. something has to give.

i am assuming you have a zoom lens 3.5-5.6

Now I'm confused again. Focal length?

(BTW thanks for your time and patience!)

look on the barrel of your lens, close to the body of the camera.

there will be a series of numbers. since i am not sure which lens you have this is a quess.

you will find 18-24-35-55 something along those lines. Each of those marks are considered focal lengths. the smaller the number the wide viewing angle will show up in your photo. the larger the number the image will start to appear closer.

you can pick a full number or anthing in between to take your photo. When the lens is at 18mm your fstop will go all the way down to 3.5, as you zoom out (pick a larger number, i.e.55 the fstop will go to 5.6). It is the nature of the lens.

take your camera and put the focal length on 18 and dial your shutter down to 3.5 in av mode, then watch on the top of the lcd and move the lens to 55 and you will see the fstop change.

just take your time, handle the camera and check out the manual. i know, the manual seems to be in greek, but with time and practice things will begin to make sense

Most reactions

New Topics

Back