So i thought I was switching to Nikon until...

Last edited:
Stick with the 6D! Congrats. That is awesome. Happy birthday.

Coming from a Nikon user, keep the 6D.

Congratulations!

A free Cannon 6D would be more than enough get me started shooting Cannon!
I'm guessing you shoot Nikon then? I wouldn't mind changing to Nikon but this is a chance for me to play with FF, So im not letting that go! that and i have to send the company pictures with the 6D so might as well keep it, just means im spending R12k on lenses so just over $1200

Oh Ya, I shoot Nikon and love it...but you can't bet free..especially FF. So have fun wih it and post up som shots.

I'd go with the 6D if I had to chose one for it's ability in light, or lack there of. It's pretty versatile. If you're getting into portrait photography couldn't go wrong with a MF like a Mamiya or Hassy, but I know alot of people don't bother with film. Anyways i'd go with the 6D if I were you, give it a shot at least and congrats on winning it!

Sell the 6D, get a D600 instead. That's a no brainer!
it costs a fair bit more here in South Africa, R16 000 vs R22 000

I'm saving up for my first full-frame right now and I had to make the same decision: do I buy the D600 or the 6D?

Here are the pros and cons from my perspective:

6D:
  • The absolute best image quality at high ISO
  • Rated for focusing in very low light
  • Automatic GPS image tagging
  • Wi-Fi enabled so you can use a smartphone to control it (Sounds like a gimmick, but it means you don't have to buy a remote for doing long exposures!)

600D:
  • Headphone jack (Only really useful for shooting video)
  • Two SD card slots
  • Built-in flash
  • More focus points

In the end, the low-light capabilities of the 6D won me over. It being made by Canon also means I can share lenses between it and my my film camera.

It's all up to you in the end. Whatever works best for your needs is what you should get. If you don't want the D600 because of its higher price, the 6D will be just as wonderful a camera to use.

Thats a nice list you have there, The only downsides i have with the 6D is the 1/180th sync speed and the one cross type AF Point. I guess I only really use the center one anyway

Get one of the 50's to go on it and play with it for a little bit, then get your hands on the Nikon body you wanted to see which you like. You're in a good spot to try things out to see what makes you feel good without any real risk to losing any $$. After all, you just won the Canon for free so if you end up preferring the Nikon model you are ahead selling the 6D to get what you want.

I already have the 50mm f/1.8, So I will use that until i get something else

So far it looks like Ill get the 28mm f/1.8, the 50mm f/1.4 and lastly that 85mm f/1.8. That basically covers my ranges.

28mm for environmental shots and landscapes, 50mm as a general purpose lens and the 85 for portraits and product shots.

I just wish it would get here already!!! :(

Thanks to everyone else for the advice so far (and congratulations/birthday wishes)

Sooo.... I picked up my 6D yesterday... and well! damn full frame is epic beyond words!

i've already added on over 200 actuations just from playing around.

So far my favourite shot from last night:

Photobombed! by wezphotography, on Flickr

Shot at iso 6400 which I wouldn't even go near with my old 1100D!

Thanks Guys!

okay so it looks like the 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 should work nicely and are more or less in my budget.

I will probably stagger them though, will keep my 50mm f1.8 until my 1100D is sold (someones already asked me to buy it with all its lenses) and then maybe i'll upgrade from there.

I'm always surprised that the Canon 28mm f/1.8 has not been a big,big seller...28 is a very nice wide-angle lens....less distortion than the 24mm in the corners, making it better for people in social photography situations, and allowing you to shoot from eye-level, more so than with a 24mm, where you need, really NEED, to crouch down to get and keep the back of the camera parallel with standing people. And 28mm allows you to put people a bit more off toward the edges of the frame than a 20 or 24mm prime does, without them looking so distorted and wonky.

The Canon 50/1.4 EF is a fine lens. Worth the money, and sooooooo much "prettier" an imager than the 50/1.8. The 85/1.8 EF is a fine,fine moderate telephoto. Congrats on the spiffy new full-frame 6D! A three-lens kit of 28/50/85, all with f/1.8 speed or faster is a potent trio of optics.

Thanks Guys!

okay so it looks like the 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 should work nicely and are more or less in my budget.

I will probably stagger them though, will keep my 50mm f1.8 until my 1100D is sold (someones already asked me to buy it with all its lenses) and then maybe i'll upgrade from there.

I'm always surprised that the Canon 28mm f/1.8 has not been a big,big seller...28 is a very nice wide-angle lens....less distortion than the 24mm in the corners, making it better for people in social photography situations, and allowing you to shoot from eye-level, more so than with a 24mm, where you need, really NEED, to crouch down to get and keep the back of the camera parallel with standing people. And 28mm allows you to put people a bit more off toward the edges of the frame than a 20 or 24mm prime does, without them looking so distorted and wonky.

The Canon 50/1.4 EF is a fine lens. Worth the money, and sooooooo much "prettier" an imager than the 50/1.8. The 85/1.8 EF is a fine,fine moderate telephoto. Congrats on the spiffy new full-frame 6D! A three-lens kit of 28/50/85, all with f/1.8 speed or faster is a potent trio of optics.

Thanks for that Derrel! :)

I was considering the 24mm, but now that you mention distortion the 28mm is the definite winner here!

looks like i'll be placing an order for the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 tomorrow or Monday. The 28mm is a fair bit more expensive here than the others so i'll be getting that right at the end. I've found the 50 mil on FF to be a lot easier for indoor portraits than it was on crop, heck the viewfinder on the 6D is so much easier to manually focus on than my old 1100D. This new camera has made me want to go out shooting more!

Full frame definitely has a slightly different look to it!

Thanks Guys!

I was considering the 24mm, but now that you mention distortion the 28mm is the definite winner here!

looks like i'll be placing an order for the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 tomorrow or Monday. The 28mm is a fair bit more expensive here than the others so i'll be getting that right at the end. I've found the 50 mil on FF to be a lot easier for indoor portraits than it was on crop, heck the viewfinder on the 6D is so much easier to manually focus on than my old 1100D. This new camera has made me want to go out shooting more!

Congrats! Yeah, definitely keep the 6D and get a few primes like you are talking about. It'll really help get a better grasp of DoF, and is substantially better in IQ than any current DX camera I know of. That 28mm F1.8 is also tack sharp and a phenomenal lens. It's an awkward focal length at first (feels too wide as a standard, not wide enough for normal "wide" shots). Once you learn that focal length though, it has a really classic look. Getting a narrow DoF with a wide-angle is an awesome look too. You can get some interesting portraits like this or this. Those were on the Nikon version, but I've used both and the images that come off of them are very similar.

Congrats! Yeah, definitely keep the 6D and get a few primes like you are talking about. It'll really help get a better grasp of DoF, and is substantially better in IQ than any current DX camera I know of. That 28mm F1.8 is also tack sharp and a phenomenal lens. It's an awkward focal length at first (feels too wide as a standard, not wide enough for normal "wide" shots). Once you learn that focal length though, it has a really classic look. Getting a narrow DoF with a wide-angle is an awesome look too. You can get some interesting portraits like this or this. Those were on the Nikon version, but I've used both and the images that come off of them are very similar.

Thanks! well i wish i had the 28mm about 10 mins ago, I work at a school and we just had a thing for one of our past presidents, 700 kids in a ring singing happy birthday. The 50mm didn't work so well there.

I'm hoping my 85mm arrives tomorrow! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back