So Im getting a monolight kit do I need a light meter

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at a monolight kit at a local camera store and I was asking some questions about it. The person helping me said I needed a light meter to accurately get the proper exposures. Then the guy behind the counter said that with the digital age you can just look at the histogram on the camera. I figured that it might be better to get the meter so that I dont have to keep checking the histogram. How hard is it to get proper exposure with monolights without a light meter? Anyone use monolight flashes without light meters?

I have no idea what monolight thingamagees is, but I just want to say that I think that making a habit of checking your histogram of every photo you take is a good habit. Your light meter doesn't know what you want.

Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who still hasn't made that habit consistent, yet :)

Last edited:
Is it continuous lighting?

Then there is your answer :). Then you have to do trial and error. A lot of people do that.

Do you need one? No. Is it a good idea to learn how to use one? Yes.

Using one or maybe two lights is easy enough, it's when you start putting multiple lights toghether in one exposure that it's going to become an issue. Having a good meter and knowing how to use it can go from having to adjust and chimp for 20 minutes to metering and shooting in 5.

You can chimp your way to good exposures (shoot, check histogram, adjust, shoot, check histogram, adjust....) or you can use the lightmeter to set up the shot and exposure to a good first approximation. If you have more than one light source, then having a meter helps figure out what the relative proportions are or should be. Beyond that, I still find that fine-tuning the exposure requires careful study of the image and the histogram to be sure that the areas that must retain detail without unacceptable noise do so. If you're shooting in the studio, then tethering the camera to a computer display is a good idea as you can see the focus and the exposure much better on a large display. If you're in the field, tethering the camera is more difficult, and getting a sense of the exposure by looking at the LCD under sunny conditions can be very misleading. Do you need a meter? No. Can it help you make better decisions faster? Yes.

Dang. VI types faster than I do.:lol:

If you are using strobes get a meter, lots of folks that have done it a while will say you don't need it but that is them. Once you gain the experience with different lighting conditions etc. you may not use it as much. Sekonic L358 Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter these folks have it on sale.
A little pricey but it can grow into your system as it is pocket wizard compatible if you add a card to fire them wirelessly. But a simple sync cord or setting the meter to read the flash when it fires can get you by for now.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I was also thinking about how long trial and error would take. I don't exactly have 20mins to have models sit around after every shot

You don't need a light meter, but it will sure make your life a LOT easier. If you're going to be using strobes of any kind, than IMO, a flash meter is a must. The Sekonic 358 is a nice unit, but you can get good ones for a lot less. Check eBay; a nice Luna Pro F can be had for <$100, and the Minolta Flash series (Outstanding meters) range from <$100 to ~$200 depending on which one you get.

I was also thinking about how long trial and error would take. I don't exactly have 20mins to have models sit around after every shot

It shouldnt take that long and once you got it down everything should be the same every shot.

It shouldnt take that long and once you got it down everything should be the same every shot.
You're going to do a model shoot and not change your lighting once? :confused:

The power of the flash shouldnt change that much if you change the angle, isnt that correct?

Most reactions

Back