So, I'm going to shoot a wedding

Don't you just hate how friends put the touch on you when they know you are a amature photographer. It happens to all of us from time to time and I've done my share of them. I've done them both freebies and paid. Use a flash for everything pre and post ceremony, use a tripod for shots during the ceremony. I may be old school in my thinking but flashes during the ceremony are distracting and rude. Use equipment that you know like the back of your hand. You don't want to be fumbling with dials and buttons when you have the wedding party standing in front of you waiting for you to "GET THE PICTURES OVER WITH". I'm sure you have told them that this is not your gig and they would be much better off to hire a pro for such an important event and it probably went in one ear and out the other. The last time someone hit me up to take pictures at their wedding I told them that I wanted to party with all of our friends and share in the even. I can't do this if I'm working taking your wedding pictures. They actually understood this and hired it out and I'm really glad they did.

As others have mentioned, weddings can be tough. But looking at your images, you did pretty well. I remember my first wedding I experienced similar issues. 1) Room dark, can't focus 2)Lots of motion blur 3)Flash issues. It happens. Get back up on that horse and try again because your pictures are pretty good. I've learned to carry around a very small LED light that I mount to my camera on top of my trigger. This helps with focus big time if the reception is dark. Don't be afraid to open up the light. I bet there isn't a single wedding photographer out there who hasn't experienced these issues time and time again during their first few weddings. Good share and it really took me back to my first wedding or two. I laughed heartily as I felt your pain!! I bet you learned a lot though and become a heck of a lot better. Wish I would have saw this before, I would have given you a lot of good tips.

Here are a few samples
Now you have been through what most of us have and it was NO FUN. Looks like it came out nice and you have a ton of pics to look and play around with in post processing. Would you do another one or would you respectfully decline?

Most reactions

Back