so long, and thanks for all the fish

shadowdancer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so next on the chopping block, my first attempt at motion and was wondering....when you are shooting a motion shot, how do you place the shot as in terms of actually aiming the shot on your subject. I tried to keep the middle of my shot about right where I think his neck would have been. Should I shoot action or motion pictures like this or is there a better way to place my photo? Thank you

Brandon
8823024870.jpg

My suggestion: If you know more or less where you expect the dolphin to show up, frame your shot and then use continuous shooting (w/out moving the camera) starting as soon as you see his nose enter the frame, until his tail leaves. Don't wait until you think it's getting close to where you want it, or stop when you think it's almost past there. Keep shooting the whole time there is any dolphin meat in the picture. Then you're counting less on your reaction time to get the shot you want.

(This assumes you want the background as well as the dolphin in focus.)
EDIT: Oh and also of course subject to the limitations of your camera. I have a Canon Digital Rebel which only shoots up to 4 continuous shots at 2.5 frames per second. So I might wait until, say, I can see his eyes or even the beginning of the flipper thing, then fire off my 4 shots in 2 or 3 seconds. But he's moving fast through the frame so I'd want to start shooting early.

cathmc said:
My suggestion: If you know more or less where you expect the dolphin to show up, frame your shot and then use continuous shooting (w/out moving the camera) starting as soon as you see his nose enter the frame, until his tail leaves. Don't wait until you think it's getting close to where you want it, or stop when you think it's almost past there. Keep shooting the whole time there is any dolphin meat in the picture. Then you're counting less on your reaction time to get the shot you want.

(This assumes you want the background as well as the dolphin in focus.)
EDIT: Oh and also of course subject to the limitations of your camera. I have a Canon Digital Rebel which only shoots up to 4 continuous shots at 2.5 frames per second. So I might wait until, say, I can see his eyes or even the beginning of the flipper thing, then fire off my 4 shots in 2 or 3 seconds. But he's moving fast through the frame so I'd want to start shooting early.

ei thnx for this..I strongly agree with you...

Most reactions

Back