so, what kind of car do you drive?

take a look at the VW Toureg. Now thats one sweet soccer mom SUV. tons of horsies and torque. Dont know if you tow anything, but its got lots of towing power. I would probably recomend it over the 4runner. But they are close. :)

Yeah, the Murano definitely falls more toward the car side of a crossover than a 4x4 side (like the liberty or something). It does have 4wd (technically all-wheel drive, which is slightly different), and handles snow and stuff quite well. It's handled some muddy bumpy fields at my parents' farm quite well (on the way to landscape shootings). At $32K though, I try to avoid any serious off-roading. ;)

As for the continuously variable transmission, most cars are built like bicycles--a couple of sets of gears that change at various speeds to give you more torque (oompf) or more speed. The CVT has cone-shaped areas with a belt between them (instead of meshing gears), so there's no jump between one gear and the next, just a smooth transition. You don't go from first to second to third, but rather an infinite range of higher and lower torque.

graigdavis said:
take a look at the VW Toureg. Now thats one sweet soccer mom SUV. tons of horsies and torque. Dont know if you tow anything, but its got lots of towing power. I would probably recomend it over the 4runner. But they are close. :)

Love the Toureg, but jesus, not for the money. You could have an H2 with extra gas-money for that much...

Shark said:
As for the continuously variable transmission, most cars are built like bicycles--a couple of sets of gears that change at various speeds to give you more torque (oompf) or more speed. The CVT has cone-shaped areas with a belt between them (instead of meshing gears), so there's no jump between one gear and the next, just a smooth transition. You don't go from first to second to third, but rather an infinite range of higher and lower torque.

I started to explain it with the same bike example. But I got my self a little confused. Nice job, must be the teacher in you. :D

by the way, if anyone buys an H2 I will personaly come to your door and smack you, and then let the air out of the tires as I leave. :twisted:

Shark said:
Yeah, the Murano definitely falls more toward the car side of a crossover than a 4x4 side (like the liberty or something). It does have 4wd (technically all-wheel drive, which is slightly different), and handles snow and stuff quite well. It's handled some muddy bumpy fields at my parents' farm quite well (on the way to landscape shootings). At $32K though, I try to avoid any serious off-roading. ;)

Thanks!

graigdavis said:
Shark said:

I started to explain it with the same bike example. But I got my self a little confused. Nice job, must be the teacher in you. :D

by the way, if anyone buys an H2 I will personaly come to your door and smack you, and then let the air out of the tires as I leave. :twisted:

hehe, I hear that H2 is a just a lump of metal which needs to have a gas station attached in the back seat!

H1 is solid though, minus the gas issue, right?

graigdavis said:

Toureg looks cool, but in some angles, it looks like a soccer mom vehicle! What I'm talking about is a serious offroader/family suv. You would'nt feel like taking the Toureg offroad! :)
Toureg, Cayenne (not sure of the spelling though), Range Rover (my dream suv) are classy machines which you not like to take it offroad.

4Runner is not my THE fav, but there isn't a vehicle in its price range and the category!

danalec99 said:
We have a 2003 Camry. Currently on the market for preferbly a 4x4. Thinking of a 2004 4Runner.

Any suggestions for a fine 4x4?

Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner, both fine SUVs.

Toureg looks cool, but in some angles, it looks like a soccer mom vehicle!

and just exactly what is wrong with driving a soccer mom vehicle?? :lol:

let me tell ya, i get out of my minivan, straighten my tie, shift my sunglasses, and the chicks go wild...

(course, the chicks mentioned are really baby turkeys, and they're already wild , but hey, beggars can't be choosers)

Osmer_Toby said:
Toureg looks cool, but in some angles, it looks like a soccer mom vehicle!

and just exactly what is wrong with driving a soccer mom vehicle?? :lol:

let me tell ya, i get out of my minivan, straighten my tie, shift my sunglasses, and the chicks go wild...

(course, the chicks mentioned are really baby turkeys, and they're already wild , but hey, beggars can't be choosers)

You wear a tie? :snicker: :point:

danalec99 said:
Toureg looks cool, but in some angles, it looks like a soccer mom vehicle! What I'm talking about is a serious offroader/family suv. You would'nt feel like taking the Toureg offroad! :)
Toureg, Cayenne (not sure of the spelling though), Range Rover (my dream suv) are classy machines which you not like to take it offroad.

4Runner is not my THE fav, but there isn't a vehicle in its price range and the category!

See, that's the problem...you're talking a compromise situation there. Yeah, you could probably get a good suv that can really handle the off-road, but you're limited to something like a range rover (or have you seen that new large-size mercedes that looks like a range rover?? :drool: )

I went with the Murano because about 8/10 of what I do is on-road. It's got enough ruggedness to handle snow and slush and the occasional romp through the fields, but mostly it's going to have a car seat strapped in the back an a set of golf clubs or a couple soccer bags in the trunk section. :D

'99 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 Its basically a work truck no power anything (except steering). About to sell it and hopefully get a Jeep Wrangler or YJ.
:D

i have a '97 Lincoln Continental.... not much else to say.

prelude_rear.jpg

99 honda prelude =)

My truck for work
normal_truck.jpg

Now THIS is my car. I get to drive this whenever I don't need the truck. :D 455, 4 speed, functional ram air, posi, etc...
normal_screamin%20chicken.jpg

And I get to ride this on sunny days...
919_smoke.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back