So why aren't political discussions allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Honestly, I mean a forum is a place of conversation right? Then why can't we have political discussions as long as they are in the off topic chat section? I see nothing wrong with it, in fact I was rather enjoying the "skieurs (sp?) gun thread" as was everyone else involved. Nobody was being harmed by it, so why the heck do the owners/mods care is we have discussions like that? Isn't it what that section of the forum is made for? As long as it doesn't hijack other people threads, then who cares!

It's a pretty common rule on many forums. Generally, the reason is that often times, when discussing politics, things get too heated and personal attacks are thrown around willy-nilly.

Most forums discourage political, religious debate. There's really no good ending to them although the one going here was mature (for the most part) it would no doubt end up in heated argument.

Moderating a forum is a lot of work behind the scenes.

Damn, I type too slow!

Generally because politics and religion (to name two popular banned topics) quickly dissolve (in most online communities) into personal attacks and sniping between people against each other and each others political groups/countries/religion rather than an proper debate.
The result is that you quickly get a thread where a lot of hate is thrown around and this can greatly upset a forums community in a very short space of time. Thus the ban is in place to attempt to avoid such a "falling out".

This is more the case online than in person where its so easy to write one thing and have others interpret it as another meaning - to take insult when one isn't given and also because many quickly lose inhibitions to say their thoughts (without always thinking them through) when all they are directly interacting with is a keyboard and screen and not the other persons face.

The truck forum I am on has a smack talk section and a religious/political section just for all the bickering. It can get pretty entertaining.

Because this is a photography forum and it is hard to sell ad space to companies when every other post is a political or religious rant.

Honestly, I mean a forum is a place of conversation right? Then why can't we have political discussions as long as they are in the off topic chat section? I see nothing wrong with it, in fact I was rather enjoying the "skieurs (sp?) gun thread" as was everyone else involved. Nobody was being harmed by it, so why the heck do the owners/mods care is we have discussions like that? Isn't it what that section of the forum is made for? As long as it doesn't hijack other people threads, then who cares!

I agree. By the way in the nature of FYI: skieur is the French word for skier and spelled correctly with the exception of the apostrophe: skieur's ;)

skieur

Interesting, the popularity of the thread locked by Arch. Perhaps people were getting bored. :lol:

skieur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back