[software] FocusTune... My quick review.

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First let me say i have no relation to Michael Tapes Design... I bought this product to help 'debug' some camera/lens issues i was having..

When i first heard about this product on a photo blog (i don't even remember what site) i didn't pay much attention to it. It's from the makers of 'LensAlign' and my opinion of that product (LensAlign) hasn't changed over the years... Who would spend $80 on a focus chart when you can print your own for free?

It wasn't until i was trying to figure out if i needed to send my lens or body (or both) in for repairs that i thought 'what the heck'... and forked out $30 for FocusTune.

To make a long story short.. My D7000 has started back focusing a bit. If i compare focus charts i took when i bought my D7000 (2 years ago) with those of last week there is a noticeable shift backwards in focus. Both Nikon and a 3rd party repair shop i talked with say its common for AF to go 'out of whack' (my term... not theirs) over time and a quick trip in for routine maintenance (and $120) will have it back to factory specs.

So... enter FocusTune... If i'm forking out the money i might as well make sure my camera is 'out of whack'..

How it works...

focustune.jpg

Using FocusTune is simple (works on both PC and Mac):
  • Print out a test target or use their LensAlign product.
  • Set your AF micro adjustment to -20 and take ~5 pictures.. drop your AF micro adjustment to -15 and take ~5 pictures.. repeat until you get to +20 (skipping by 5 each time). I was testing my center focus point, but you use any focus point you want (hear that D800 owners! :D). I re-focused every shot by moving the focus point to the left, focusing off the target, then moving it back to center and re-focusing on the target.
  • Load those ~45 images into focus tune.
  • Mask out your focus target (bottom left corner).
  • Select AFA (Auto Focus Adjustment) from the 'Process Control' drop down (FocusTune does more then.. well tuning focus.. more on that later).
  • Click 'Process Files'

Focus tune will then spit out a PDF graph/chart showing you where your sharpest focus is... for me this was -20 (* surprise!*)..

You then take a smaller range of test shots skipping by 1 this time. For me, i did 4 shots each at -20 to -15 (-20,-19,-18... etc). I then processed those files and *double surprise .. it said -18 was my sharpest adjustment. I was a little shocked... i assumed -20 would be my sharpest but looking at the chart it was obvious that -18 was sharper then -20. I did a 2nd test to confirm this.

So far I've ran two lenses through FocusTune. My Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 needs -18 adjustment and my Nikon 50mm 1.8 is -15. I thought both would need -20 :)

FocusTune also offers:
  • AFA - Auto Focus Adjustment
  • AFC - Auto Focus Consistency
  • FP - Focus Point Comparison
  • APE - Aperture Comparison
  • SC -Shot by Shot Comparison

Would i buy it again?
Maybe.. come on, its only $29.95. It is kind of cool knowing you are getting the most out of your lens/body combo. My pictures do seem a bit more 'crisp' (but again.. it could be because i want them to be sharper :D )

The software is still in the early stages and it shows. I couldn't get it to load the EXIF data on my Windows 7 x64 machine. I had to install it on my Mac for it to work. Looking in the support forums it sounds like my Windows issue was a permissions bug that has been fixed (however other people didn't have a problem on Windows 7). Until its had a chance to 'harden' you should probably expect some bugs. However... come on... its $29.95. You are getting what you pay for :)

What are your opinions on this type of software? waste of money? cool? a must have? I'm still on the fence (even though i bought it :) )

Ive got a 1Dmk1, 2x 1Dmk2, 5D and the focus has never altered and cameras have never been sent back or any lenses

Ive got a 1Dmk1, 2x 1Dmk2, 5D and the focus has never altered and cameras have never been sent back or any lenses

ok... and other then bragging you have over $10k in Camera equipment your point is.... what?

Most reactions

Back