Software for naming/downloading photos on the fly?

tvbad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a technical challenge and I'm hoping someone has a solution... Myself and one other photographer will have about 2 hours to take about 400 head shots of conference attendees as they register. We will be using constant lighting to avoid catching each other's flashes. About one hour after the registration closes the best picture of each person will need to be compiled for a screen saver like montage which will play for the presentation for the keynote. The photos will also be used for a social network like application and the files will need to be named according to the person's name.

Here's my question(s):

What's the best workflow to follow?

I'm imagining each of our cameras tethered to laptops, and when someone comes up to have their picture taken they will type their name into a program and then the next series of photos will be automatically be downloaded to the computer and named accordingly, like John_Doe_01.jpg and so on. Is there an application like that? We will be using Macs. If such an app exists, can it be capturing pics as the next person is typing in their name?

The old school way of doing it would be to have the person hold up a card with their name printed, and we manually type in their name in post. We will also have an assistant who will download and select pics as we shoot. That person could name the files if needed, but it might streamline the process if we had the pictures captured with the subject's name, and directly transfered into the computer. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd recommend photomechanic if your looking for a fast way to sort and categorize

Sent from my iPhone.

This looks like a useful program, but my issue isn't about sorting photos. I'm looking for a program that will allow me to ingest pics into the computer as I shoot them, and name the files on the fly. Thanks.

search on 'shooting tethered'

if typing directly in is not possible
synchronize times on cameras
have them sign in by time

Lightroom will allow you to tether your camera to the computer and use the computer as your flash drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back