Some Bokeh help

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Havent been on here in a while, but im curious as how i can make my photos better?

This is what im aiming for (So sorry if im not alloed to post other peoples photos?! its by my friend Kate Peddie www.geegee.co.nz if that helps?

20436_1359093543078_1403707755_31001770_4886413_n.jpg

how do i achieve bokeh like that? im assuming (knowing my friend and her camera) its raken from a distance as she has a massive lens, does lens size make a difference? i only have a 18-70 at the moment.
my photos are coming out like...
(i cant find anything recent but...) like this.

13747_1258773119437_1532934308_690133_5275157_n.jpg

See no lovely bokeh?! what am i doing wrong?

The top photo was made with a long telephoto lens--probably something in the 300 to 400mm focal length range. The horse is shown only partially, and it is at a fairly close range--probably about 30 feet. The trees in the distance are thrown nicely out of focus. The top photo is what is commonly described as being a "classic telephoto look" photo. The bottom photo, shot with an 18-70mm lens, is obviously made differently: the horse is shown in its entirety, from a relatively close distance, which shows us that the lens was NOT a long, narrow-angle telephoto lens. The wide angle of the background behind the horse and rider is a solid clue that the lens is a short-ish lens--one that does not have a narrow, selective angle of view.

Using a DX format d-slr and 18-70mm lens, whenever you are far enough back from a horse and rider to show the entire horse and rider and some background like this--there is NO LENS in that 18-70mm category that can "blow out" the background...it is simply impossible to do on a wide-view shot like that,with an 18-70 on a DX format camera. So, yes, the lens used is having a major impact on both photos. Many sports shooters love the effect of a 300mm f/4 or f/2.8 prime lens when shooting outdoor sports.

Thanks so much Derrel, Damn i was hoping it was just some sot of setting i was doing wrong but unfortunatly not.
Yep your right about the focal length I believe the top photo is shot with a 300mm lens.
So can i adjust anything to my camera to get a better photo? Or can i not get a more focused subject than what i already have there?
Aperture confuses me a little (noob i know!) i change F numbers etc but i cant seem to notice a difference alot of the time haha!!

You have to be very careful with equestrian and DOF, i shoot with a 300mmF2.8L but never go lower than F4 other wise the horses head and rider will not be in focus, you need a long lens because you cannot get close enough with a short lens when they are competing
here's one at F4.5
293475003_BT5En-L.jpg

Take note: What you are calling bokeh is actually known as Depth-Of-Field (DOF).

Misfitlimp only got it partially right. You learn from all the DOF links Samanax was so nice to provide you and Darrells usual great explanation, that focal length a well as subject & background distance also have a big influence on DOF.

Oh, and if you want to refer other forum members to an image that you don't own the copyright to, just link to the image.

GSGary, Love the pic!!!! I have horses and so any pics with horses are my favorites.
I am shooting a rodeo for practice next weekend, will be asking for tips in a different post.

Most reactions

Back