Some C&C and General Advice, Please!

Khayembii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Welp, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while but haven't really posted. I've owned a Nikon D300 for a while now and can never seem to get out and use it. I come from a science background and, while I love all kinds of art, whenever I try to sit down and do anything artistic I always seem to get lost and don't know how to start, so I stop. It's really frustrating because I'd like to learn how to become a better photographer and express myself artistically in general. So I figured I'd start with photography since I already have the equipment.

Someone here posted this:

When you understand what happens to a photo when you change shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, focus mode, metering mode, and white balance you will have acquired the basic technical photographic knowledge.

When you understand how form, line, shape, shadows, proportion, scale, perspective, affect how a viewer experiences your photos you will have acquired the basis artistic knowledge needed.

I have an abstract grasp of the former, in the sense that I understand how all of these things work together (mastery of this, though, is another story entirely, which takes experience). The latter, though, I'm sort of stumped on. Further, when I go out to shoot photos I end up walking around for the most part not sure of what to take. My friend, who is a professional photographer, gave me the advice (as everyone has heard) of "shoot constantly" but I seriously have no idea how to do that.

I'm tentatively planning some long term traveling about a year or two out and by then I would like to be proficient enough to take quality photos.

Anyways, here's a few that I've taken recently with my own personal critiques:

6899447789_498d3d20cd_b.jpg

First off, this image was basically a test and when I shot it was just trying to see how it would turn out. Shot in RAW so when I took it it was basically all black but was able to salvage it in PS to this extent. So I know I could have done better. Also would like to remove that sign and it looks slightly off center to me. My photog friend also said that photographing buildings like this isn't the greatest idea because of the perspective lines caused by the building, which can be corrected in PS (he showed me how), but I liked it better like this so I don't know if that's some kind of faux pas or something.

6899447761_089b71c33b_b.jpg

Heh, portrait of a friend, messed a little with the white balance in PS because it was off when I shot but that's about it IIRC.

6899447777_7ccaf6aff0_b.jpg

Sort of a ridiculous self-portrait. I don't really know if this is any good.

Let's hear it. Don't worry, I can take it. ;)

1. raising the ISO might have got the shot to come out brighter. But going just a bit earlier when light would have been better would be more ideal. Learn what time of day you get the right kind of light for the shot you are attempting.

2. Not bad but your tint is a bit heavy in the red channel.

3. Seems like a softer focus but shot is kind of interesting.

I find that shooting without purpose is the hardest way of practicing photography.
It's like when a teacher used to ask us to "free write." It was the hardest thing to do ever.

If you think of something you want to accomplish first, then finding subjects is easier. Like, think of an emotion and try to convey it, or think about trying to find photos that convey symmetry and equal balance. :)

Even going out to just shoot around requires a little bit of planning.

I think you should try that fist shot in a vertical position. A bit more lighting would be nice here.

Your second shot is crooked. I kinda like the expression on his face btw... xD

Third shot is interesting... I'm not sure about it though.

I like the third, but not really the other two. Third one is interesting!

The third is interesting, but a little soft as pointed out and there is also some barrel distortion visible in all the straight lines (correctable in PS).

You need to look at photos - online, in books, museums, whatever - the more you see the better idea you'll have what interests you and you'll get some specific ideas as well. IMO, blatant copying is a fine way to learn at first, and as you work on a type of photography you will inevitably alter it and make it yours anyway.

Use of light.

Photography is entirely about light. Light is what the camera records. Light determines the mood of an image. Light defines the depth, drama, tension, and texture in an image.

Try and imagine #1 shot using an off camera hot shoe flash unit zoomed to it's wide angle setting, hidden from the camera behind the base of either of the lights there at the top of the steps in the foregound, and pointed up slightly at the building entrance. Plus a second off camera hot shore flash unit behind the base of the other light at the top of the steps but zoomed out all the way and pointed up high to get some light above the building entrance.

Unfortunately the severe under exposure of #1 means any increase in the exposure will make image noise more visible

689Edit9447789_498d3d20cd_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back