Some CC on some B/W images

253 is to high. 255 is totally blown and you start losing detail before even 250.

Try not to exceed 245 for the whites after conversion.

You can check the value using the "Info" window after the conversion.

I don't convert to B&W until after I have run the image through ACR (Camera Raw) where I check the Exposure, correct the exposure (if necessary) using the 'Recovery' slider, doing capture sharpening, and adjusting the mid-tone contrast with the 'Clarity' slider. Only then do I open the image in Photoshop and make an B&W adjustment layer.

It's a rare B&W image that I don't also make a 'Dodge' layer, a 'Burn' layer, and a 'Selective Sharpening' layer.

Last edited:
Thanks KmH!

I'll make the adjustments and give it another go. I just recently started to do my own b/w conversations and not rely on a preset or some else's action. I've been trying to get my whites as white as white and possible and my blacks well black. There is so much to learn.

I haven't been converting until I have everything as correct as I can, including selective sharpening. I'll be honest I never thought getting a b/w conversation would be so hard, but then a year ago I thought Auto was the answer to everything photography related. ;)

Rafal said:
As far as composition goes I like #1 the most but it does look a little over exposed. I'm a begginner so don't take it to seriously, but maybe if you have a little darker background you exposure would come out better. :) but I might be wrong

You are correct...you are a beginner. And you're giving out false information! Having a dark background isn't going to do anything with her exposure. You shouldn't go around giving info out, if you don't know what you're talking about.

That being said...the exposure look fine lol.

Yes I am a beginner but my vision is fine and the exposure is blown out in picture #1. Second when I mentioned the idea of a "little darker" NOT "dark" background I made sure to say that " I might be wrong because I'm a beginner" The background in #1 looked white to me so that's why I suggested it, with a reserve, so a REAL PRO would give her a correct solution. So please keep your "!,!" comments to yourself.. I'm only trying to participate in this forum and not to give someone wrong information

Keith has given you some very good advice.

Black and white takes time and skill, so it is good that you are trying different techniques and learning; as there is more involved than many think.

In addition to what Keith said, you can also hold ALT and click on the black or white slider in Levels ( I am pretty sure it works in curves also but not positive ) and the image will change to show all of the pure white or pure black in the picture. This doesn't really stop you from having blown areas, but its a good tool to try and adjust the tones of your image. If you have an image that is very heavy on pure black or very heavy on pure white you are probably not going to have a very large range of other tones in that image. ( if you WANT that effect as in a 30s Noire style though, that may be desirable )

You can also use the 'Alt' key in Camera Raw (ACR) with the Exposure and Blacks sliders. In the ACR Sharpening panel you can also use the 'Alt' key with the sharpening sliders.

Thank you so much guys for all the information! I really do appreciate it. I can't wait to get home and put some of this information to use.

(A girl can only look at so many insurance risk reports before her eyes bug out and the numbers stop making any sense).

Kmh...look at the color picture...it's not BLOWN out. It's white hair lol...you're not going to see fine details in white hair when converted to B&W.

Plus, had she exposed for the white chest hair to be darker, the face (predominantly black) would be way underexposed. And since the face is the focal point, she exposed as good as she could.

Where did you pluck that one from my dog has white on his chest
IMG3983-1b-w-L.jpg

Rafal said:
As far as composition goes I like #1 the most but it does look a little over exposed. I'm a begginner so don't take it to seriously, but maybe if you have a little darker background you exposure would come out better. :) but I might be wrong

You are correct...you are a beginner. And you're giving out false information! Having a dark background isn't going to do anything with her exposure. You shouldn't go around giving info out, if you don't know what you're talking about.

thanks, I was thinking the same thing, plus with a darker background I was thinking I would lose detail on his darker fur (he would blend in). As you can see, the white fur is blown in the bottom left corner. I was trying to get as close to perfect exposure as I could for his face and had to sacrifce his chest area.

here is a colour version of #1
6018482897_9a1f114490_z.jpg

Had a quick play

60184828979a1f114490z-L.jpg

Rafal said:

thanks, I was thinking the same thing, plus with a darker background I was thinking I would lose detail on his darker fur (he would blend in). As you can see, the white fur is blown in the bottom left corner. I was trying to get as close to perfect exposure as I could for his face and had to sacrifce his chest area.

here is a colour version of #1
6018482897_9a1f114490_z.jpg

Shooting a dark dog on a black background can look good if you use studio lighting, here's one i took at a dog show where i set up a studio and printed on site

1221198821_HR3ae-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back