Some critique on my photos please

Rodah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought my first DSLR a couple weeks ago and would like to get some critique on some of my photos.
I have a Canon 600D with kit lens and a 50mm 1.8

1/640 sec,1200 ISO,50mm1.8,f/1.8

Time for some barbecue by Rodah ., on Flickr

1/2000 sec,100 ISO,50mm 1.8,f/5.0

Silhouette of Stadshuset by Rodah ., on Flickr

50mm 1.8, ISO 200, Shutter 1/640, f/5.0

It's exploding by Rodah ., on Flickr

50mm 1.8, ISO 100, Shutter 1/3200,f/1.8

Keeping watch by Rodah ., on Flickr

50mm 1.8, ISO 200, Shutter 1/640, f/5.0

Walking policeman by Rodah ., on Flickr

Thanks!

I love "Time for some barbecue". I think after this post I am going to get something to eat.

I think the "Walking policeman" should be on the left side of the frame, instead of the right.

The barbecue shot might be even more powerful if you cropped the bottom and right to get rid of the oof hand and oof barbecue handle, and get the image down to the essentials: the meat, the smoke, the tongs and the hand holding them.

The barbecue shot might be even more powerful if you cropped the bottom and right to get rid of the oof hand and oof barbecue handle, and get the image down to the essentials: the meat, the smoke, the tongs and the hand holding them.

He could possibly get rid of the oof hand, but I wouldn't edit out the oof bbq handle. Either way, I like the image.

I absolutely love the BBQ one, personally I think the hand adds something too it. The fireball is a good example of great timing.

Thanks for the comments and critique guys! Really appreciate it. In the barbeque picture i really liked the hands in there so i'm happy with them being there.

The BBQ pic is the most successful IMHO. I would have to say that the others are interesting and certainly have potential, but they are much more general and seem more photojournalistic...documents of places or events. Big difference and the reason why most respond to the BBQ image and not the others so much. It immediately invokes memories of barbeques we've all had. You can almost smell it! Obviously there are a lot of exceptions, but generally images that are clearly about ONE thing and that one thing occupies most of the frame, are meaningful for the viewer. IF possible, you always want to get closer. Move in. Get to the essence of what you're looking at. The other issue I have is naming images. I realize that the titles help tell the story and that words can really enhance an image, but take the words away and then ask yourself how successful the image is. If you have to explain it, it's probably not all it could be.

The BBQ pic is the most successful IMHO. I would have to say that the others are interesting and certainly have potential, but they are much more general and seem more photojournalistic...documents of places or events. Big difference and the reason why most respond to the BBQ image and not the others so much. It immediately invokes memories of barbeques we've all had. You can almost smell it! Obviously there are a lot of exceptions, but generally images that are clearly about ONE thing and that one thing occupies most of the frame, are meaningful for the viewer. IF possible, you always want to get closer. Move in. Get to the essence of what you're looking at. The other issue I have is naming images. I realize that the titles help tell the story and that words can really enhance an image, but take the words away and then ask yourself how successful the image is. If you have to explain it, it's probably not all it could be.

Very good tip there about naming images vtimagemaker, thanks!

Congrats on getting the BBQ image featured on FroKnows!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back