Some D.C. candids (DUW)

Cool observations! #3 and 4 stands out for me.

MightyLeeMoon said:
Very cool shots.

Which lens/focal length were you using?

Hi! The lens is a Sigma 70-200 2.8; I think the EXIF info is still in all the files, so you should be able to tell what zoom level I was at in each of them that way. Most of them are probably at 200, as it's tough to get close to people and still get candids. When I was on the mall, I decided that candid photography there would be a lot easier with a Canon 300/4, at least if you used something to blackout the shiny-white attention grabbing color of the lens.

I really like 3. They almost look like advertisements. That candid-but-not kind of look, you know? Great set! :D

Passion4Film said:
I really like 3. They almost look like advertisements. That candid-but-not kind of look, you know? Great set! :D
I know what you mean. When they were popping open, I was thinking that they were just going to be everyday boring snapshots, but then once I took a look at them, I found that I liked them.

#2 looks like it could be a stock photo. The guy and the people in the background are well placed and balanced, nice color, and even though he's in the shade, it's all well lit and exposed.

I get a real kick out of #3. I don't know if you had any real intent behind it, but to me it seems to be a commentary on the "snapshotness" of America. Everyone has a camera now. You placed everything along the very edges, but it still seems very balanced. You have an optical illusion, with the gal begin shorter than the rest of the family, because you stepped down and placed her feet at the same level as theirs with no sense of prespective. The Lincoln Memorial is well placed between them. The interesting sky tops it off. If it had been all grey or all blue, that would have killed it. I find myself staying really interesting in this shot.

In #4 I like that the two parents are looking at point A while the two kids are looking at point B. And they each have unique and interesting expressions and body language.

These are all excellent candids...... 2&3 especially for me :thumbup:

I really like number 3
looks like a pic you would fine in a wallet before you buy it or something

Most reactions

Back